Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let you know that Dan Newman with joe cooper ford has made a very special purchace from ford on band new 90 mm lighntning mafs with no core charge. They are 99.95 in the past you had to send a lightning core or pay a 80.00 core charge. A 90 Lightning maf is prefered by most tuners because the airflow map is known and they are very consistant. The lightning maf is good for upto 450 hp. Dan is at joe cooper ford in midwest city oklahoma 1918 733 1611.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The meter is calibrated for 42# injectors, right? Will you need a chip or some kind of tuning software in order for this thing to work on a supercharged 5.0? Also, I heard you have to switch the plug (connector) in order to use it on a 5.0 Stang? Thanks for any help. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The maf is not calibrated to a injector size. The transfer function is put into the chip along with the injector size. To calibrate a maf to a injector size is a lame half ass way to do it. That is old school and dose not work the best. It is true that you will need a plug off a 96-02 ford to hook it up. It is not a big deal to wire in the new plug since the wire colors are all in the same place. If you tell your chip manufacture what size injectors what maf it will be fine. I strongly recomend the chips from ford chip.com or sct.com sct is perefered. Almost all chip manufactures can program the transfer function into the chip if they can't turn around run from them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for the info Blown96bird. That's a nice combo you got there. What kind of hp/tq numbers did you put down? Any 1/4 mile times?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put down 328 hp and 364 torque at the wheels over 300 ftlb at the wheels from 1800 to 5500. I ran 12.92 at 107.6 mph.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Since the Lightning MAF works like the stock MAF on my 97 gt, I can just plug it in and it will work with out any problem, right? I will just need to have a chip burned for the correct transfer function when I upgrade my fuel injector. Am I on the right track or all screwed up?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not put it on till you have the chip and injectors to go in at the same time. Read the article that I posted a link on.

·
Registered
475 Posts
guess i missed the link?

can you give it again?

i have looked at getting a LMAF. with the core charge being gone it now makes sense to get one and use that money towards a tune

thanks for the info bird!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maf link and contanct info

Dan newman at joe cooper ford in midwest city oklahoma has the mafs. He is very busy so you might have to leave a message but he always returns the calls. His phone number is 1405 733 1611.

Here is a link explaning how maf meters work.

maf meters explained

·
Registered
191 Posts
FWI: the harness swap is easy, i did mine, spiced the wires about 15 inches from the end of the stock harness and basically (tee'd) into that with about 15in of the harness for the L/Cobra meters. that way if i have to swap back to pro-m or something i have both connectors handy.

Justin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts