Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the trac-loc last weekend, and noticed some definate improvements. I no longer get a drivetrain 'clunk' when coasting and then suddenly accelerating. Also eliminated the clunk when pulling into the driveway. I knew it was worn and a little loose, but I didn't expect it to tighten up and quiet down as much as it did.
Just a little FYI - I had asked around about the noise before, but no one knew exactly where to look.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott,

I picked up the 8.8 trac-loc rebuild kit ($40 + shipping) from here:

http://www.oemfordparts.com/

I’ve ordered a couple things from them and it usually takes about a week.

MFE posted a writeup here a while back that I printed out and saved. (Do a search, or ask him to repost it). I read through that and the info included with the parts. I probably should have checked the clearances with a feeler gage, but I put it together tight figuring it would loosen up a little in the first few miles of driving. It took me over ½ a day, including wire brushing and painting the diff cover, and going to the store to get new axle seals (I didn’t think of that until I had it apart – then I figured that while I was in there…)
I used the included friction modifier and packed the clutches alternating frictions and steels, and filled up with synthetic lube. It doesn’t make any noise and I’m happy with the results.

If you have basic hand tools, it’s pretty straight forward. I had never done this before,

Gary

P.S. That's quite the ride you've got going. :drool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gary

Hey Gary thanks a lot for the compliment. I have spent so much time and effort trying to get everything together. But my question still lies in the rear. I hace Moser 31 splined axles,C-Clip eilim's and the Downs ford rear girdle. I am having backlash problems and I am hoping this is a simple fix, without going to a new option. If i have to replace the center section, I will do so witha spool, for this is quickly becoming a track only car. Thanks for teh input, and I will keep you posted. Last time I had the cover off, I changed the rear fluids, and adder more modiffier, all I can say ism Nasty Stinky Messy, SH*T,

Scott K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts