Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my hard work and long wait is starting to get exciting. I am just days away from firing up this beast...

306 forged internals 8.8:1 compression
AFR 165
FTI cam (upgraded valve springs)
Holley systemax u/l
42lbers
MSD BTM
Romac Balancer
Vortech Strim ~11psi
These are the main things I thought you all would want to see for recommendations. If you need to know anything else just let me know.

I am curious as to what base timing and fuel pressure you guys have used and also if you think running high initial timing and retarding it with the btm...

Also, I am wondering what break-in methods you have used, any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Lastly, I will be dyno tuning this car once broken in and am curious if any of you have experiences with dyno tuners in the north state of CA.

Adam

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
For startup and breakin, without the BTM, I'd go with about 8 degrees of base timing and maybe 45 psi fuel pressure w/o vacuum. I've helped tune a few blower combos, but I'm be no means an expert though. Someone else could probably give better advice on the BTM, or wait until the dyno session to set the timing retard. The dyno tune will be your best friend. Sounds like a health combo, have fun with it......

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Were you implying to not use the BTM in break in?? Yeah, she should be healthy, at least i hope so.

Anybody have more suggestions??

Adam

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes worry about timing. Set it once you get it running, it only takes half a minute. Especially with a blower. Don't go driving by setting it by ear. 99 out of 100 people advance timing way too far when setting by ear, because there is no load on the engine. You can definitely use the BTM if you want, but you don't necessarily have to. I've never personally used one, so I honestly can't give you any good advice on where to start. You'd probably be fine with 10 or 12 degrees base timing once your a/f is right on, I just like to play it safe until you know for sure. Most guys I know with blowers have gained around 80 to 100 hp at the dyno because of an initial conservative tune, unless you're familiar with setting them up. Good luck dude.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man, I was not going to set my timing by ear, thats for sure!! I am definately going to get dyno tuned once she is broken in, for I have seen the before and after of many people's combos. As far as the BTM is concerned, I was using it on my past car and some tuners have told me i can get more power using a BTM. I may just start off at 13-15 initial and not use the btm until getting it on the dyno! Thanks for the help.

Adam

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Most definitely. With the BTM, you could run normal N/A timing base. I just don't know how much you'd need to retard per psi on your combo. More HP total? No. More HP under the "curve" and better power under normal driving, hell yes. More fun driving on the street? Definitely. If you know your BTM, you're set......:joy: :joy:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i will have to get the btm dialed in, i just went from a basically stock supercharged motor to my new combo, so im wondering what a good amount of timing under boost would be... I suppose ill start safely and work from there..

Where is your custom cam from, is it a reverse pattern for those afr's???

Adam

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes sir. It's the same basic cam that Acames ran 340rwhp with. I didn't acheive those same results......:(, but with different compression, intake valves, headers, etc. I ended up going carb though, and ole Brian at Hitech wasn't too enthused about the cam working it's magic. I'll tell you what though, it runs so good after the dyno tune that the numbers don't mean anything to me really. I know it would run low 12's after driving a 13.0 combo for a year. It's awesome. AFR heads absolutely kick ass man. With a blower......:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yes, i must admit i am pretty stoked on the combo.... I just want to make sure I get everything squared away. You dont have to tell me exact specs, but what range is your cam in, and how streetable is it? Cant wait to hear this baby run!!! :-0

Also, what plugs are you running in your heads? I will probably go a step colder, I am just curious. AFR recommends the Autolite 3924, i think

Adam

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yeah, I'm running the 3924's I'm pretty sure, though they may be the motorcraft version. My cam specs are on the order of 224/220, .556/.528. Not really a blower cam though. Personally I think a 224/230 cam would make a real nice blow cam with these head (Comp).........

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am in the break in process on my 331 , I also am running a s-trim with 42lbh. My car would barely run with the 42lbh injectors, i had to switch back to the 19lbh . I also am bypassing the supercharger to avoid break in oil flowing through the vortechs expensive bearings!!!!dart block,scat crank, rods ,edel performer rpm heads and intake, nice lift cam.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ford motor sport injectors, needs to be chipped to run with these big mommas i guess, i am just gonna crank around a bit witht he 19lbh. just to break it in nice!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts