Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that we 96-98 Stangers all have the 99+ head swap to do you think the 99 and up cars will start to bolt on the new 3 valve heads?
Any Ford engineers have some pics of these new heads and I wonder what kind of hp gains can be had with them?

·
Registered
44 Posts
i've never gave this too much thought, but now that you mentioned it, anyone have some info on this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thats going to be a hell of a mod tho. Here is a low down on the 3 valve heads. The variable timing is what isee the problem in. Imagine the tuning or maybe ford will make engine so it tunes itself. hhmmmm anyways read this and give input. # valve heads will be availible soon(end of summer probbrably)
http://www.fordtruckworld.com/news/3-valve.asp

·
Registered
228 Posts
Those heads are a beast.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
When I first heard of the 3-valve engine this was my first thought, but aside from the heads you'd need the entire intake package, there are revisions to the block so unlikely to even work at all, and you'd need the computer to control the variable valve timing. Very unlikely that this swap will be possible, you'll to pick up a complete 3v engine and then figure out how to do the computer swap.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Probrably be like harness, computer, intake, and and heads. And thats probrably to name a few, I dont think it is impossible, someone will try it. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The oiling system is probably different as the VCT mechanism is should be hydraulicly actuated. I'd also guess new cam chains & cam chain covers would be needed too.

Also keep in mind that right now only a 5.4L 3 valve is in production, so an intake manifold, cam chains, etc. don't even exist for a 4.6L.

I've heard that a 3 valve 4.6L may be in production by the end of 2003. So the next question becomes whether the 3V, 4.6L will be a truck engine too or will there be a version for the Mustang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts