Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well
after finally admitting to myself it was a rod knock in my 98 cobra I went down to the local SVT dealer River Oaks Ford and after talking a while with the service manager they made me a Great deal to get a new Cobra motor put in. IM not gonna go intot he details ill just say he went out of his way to do everything possible to help me out. Now with a new motor id like to hear from anyone thats had this doen. Did you see any probs after it was swapped? (mines being done as I type) Do you guys think this will make the car more or less desireable? Am I gonna see some real power gains with the 01 motor? Ok thanks for chiming in guys!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't mean to pop your bubble, but you probably won't get a new 01 motor, but a Ford Authorized Remanafactured engine. The 01 engine is quite a bit different than the 98DOHC engine. The fuel system is different, the intake won't work on the 99+DOHC block, as well as a host of other changes. If they do the remanafactured route,make sure they take your valve covers off of the old engine, as you may get the Lincoln Mark VIII black valve covers. Good luck Dave.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should definitely see about a 20 hp difference (granted your old engine was in stock condition). Lots of 2001 Cobras are putting down 275 to 280 rwhp. That puts it at around 330 hp I think. The 98 engine if Im not mistaken generally only put out around 305 at the fly, so you should definitely feel the difference. From what I hear though, the 98 4V has a little more torque down low. If your going with the swap, you should definitely look into some 4.10's so you don't feel the low rpm torque difference.

Have fun with the new engine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...

The srevice manager tells me its going to be a brand new cobra engine and im going to take him at his word. But I guess il have to wait and see. Anyone else have this kind of thing done? I already have the 4.10s

·
Registered
848 Posts
are you telling me that the 98 cobras are torquier down low than the 99 or 01 im not flaming or anything like that just wondering, i dont even knowif thats what you ment buy that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts