Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:livid::confused:WTF! I need some straight answers. I have called around everywhere and guess what: everybody has different answers (even if they work for the same company). Neutral Safety Switch vs. Transmission Range Sensor vs. Manual Lever Position Sensors - who wins? This a strange phenomenon that happens often. Is it the same thing? The manual says one thing but the parts person at your local parts store looks at you like your crazy:)confused:) when you say the name. It is really known as something else. The name of a part changes after a few years and everyone is confused as to why. It makes everyone's life like a living hell. So what's the story? I have a 95 mustang 302 automatic. Car doesn't crank. The NSS vs TRS vs MLPS is broken.

I say to the parts guy: "I need a Transmission Range Sensor for a 95 Mustang GT 302".

Parts Guy: "Never heard of it".

I say: "Thanks".

The Manual Lever Position Sensor also had a hard time going over. So after awhile I start asking for Mr. Neutral Safety Switch and I start getting some results. The thing about Neutral Safety Switches is the everyone says it only comes with a manual transmission. When they describe it, it is the same thing. Who the flip knows what they are talking about?

By the way, the service department wants 80 - 100 for the Transmission Range Sensor. Parts stores want 20 - 50 for a Neutral Safety Switch. Will someone give me their opinion on what is actually going on? It would be greatly appreciated.:bs:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Lol. Why does the "service department" charge 88 - 100 for the same thing?
because parts store products are pretty much junk compared to the factory stuff and they mark it up alot. I've seen plenty of parts store electronics DOA when working at a dealership.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
because parts store products are pretty much junk compared to the factory stuff and they mark it up alot. I've seen plenty of parts store electronics DOA when working at a dealership.
List price for parts store Chinese JUNK is typically 80-100% above at-cost price, or more.

Ford automatic transmissions use a Trans Range Sensor as the primary electronic input to the ECM, along with a few other sensors to vary shift timing, harshness, speed, etc etc. If a parts store doesn't know what you're talking about when you ask for one.....WALK RIGHT ON OUT THE DOOR!

You get what you pay for!!!! Ford Motorcraft parts are expensive, but they are QUALITY! Cheap people don't like QUALITY, apparently.

I bought a new Motorcraft battery just last week for $108.....prior one lasted 8 YEARS! I'd rather spend $100 every 8 years than $50 every TWO years for a junk crap parts store battery. But that's just me, I'm crazy. :)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
When I worked for Ford back in the mid 90's and we used to call it an MLP (manual lever position) sensor. They used to go bad constantly on the Taurus and the Windstars and would cause them to neutral out.
The guys at the parts counters at the dealerships can also be tools and not call it by the correct name. Just tell them you need the switch/sensor on the side of the trans that is connected to the selector shaft coming through the side of the trans case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts