Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im selling my 01 GT( insurance, payments cant afford) I want to buy a 87-93 notchback and work on that. Its goin to be mainly a street car, but with its fair share of track duty. I dont plan on putting more then 10k miles on it a yr. I want it to run low-mid 12's N/A.

So with the questions.......

Should i just take the stock block and rebulid it .030 over???? or should i buy a new 306 block from DSS ect....????

I was thinkin possibly of buying a 331 block???? How realiable are the 331's???

With either engine block 306 or 331, which heads, cam, and intake combination should i buy to complete this setup?

I plan on putting about 6-7 grand into the engine. Is that enough for a realiable 12 second motor?

Its going to be a 5 speed.

thanks eric

·
Registered
373 Posts
Should i just take the stock block and rebulid it .030 over???? or should i buy a new 306 block from DSS ect....????
Check into machine work costs before you decide to rebuild. I spent almost as much as a DSS shortblock on machine work( very expensive machinist who doesn't tell you prices till he is done). You can rebuild reasonably cheap if you plan a budget ahead. Here is some food for thought. A balanced rotating assembly from DSS is about $900 which is a pretty good deal. If you feel comfortable building your own motor this works out to be a pretty good deal.

I was thinkin possibly of buying a 331 block???? How realiable are the 331's???
The 331s are a compromise between added inches and a good rod ratio and better oil control. 331 is in my opinion the way to go if you want a stroker.

With either engine block 306 or 331, which heads, cam, and intake combination should i buy to complete this setup?
Right now AFR heads seem to be the hot ticket 165s for a 306, 1885s for the 331 probably. Custom cam, for the money everyone loves Ed Curtis, never used his cam but I have never heard one bad thing about his cams. If you really want an off the shelf cam comp xe 274 for a 306 or xe 282 for the 331. Performer RPM or trick flow

I plan on putting about 6-7 grand into the engine. Is that enough for a realiable 12 second motor?
heck yeah with the parts I have recommended you should be in the 11s

Its going to be a 5 speed.

My engine is a plethora of mismatched parts and still runs high 12s. The key is getting the combo matched well. With your budget you can really make your car fly just ask experienced people. You may want to give Ed Curtis a call for you entire setup. I am sure some others will chime in with their opinions

Good luck

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bubaholmes, thanks for the info. With what you told me, ill probably just buy a rotating assembly from DSS.

Do you know how long a 331 stroker will last if bulit correctly and taken care of???

eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts