Ford Mustang Forums banner

need turbo education

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Powerstroken 
#1 ·
I have decided that I want to use a turbo for my power adder, but I am a noobie. I am hoping someone can help me understand what size turbo I need, what boost I need to run, what A/R I should request, vent to atmosphere or ???

What I have now is a 1989 saleen Mustang with Typhoon Upper and TMoss ported lower, AFR165s, Ed Curtis custom cam (this will have to be changed) making 290rwhp/301tq. This is a 100% daily driver, so reliability and driveability are primary concerns. For that reason, my horsepower/torque goal is 450. I want a very good, steady idle (around 7-800 rpm). I want a very quiet idle and very quiet cruising. I have corsa straight through mufflers that have really helped on noise. I also have a 98 Mark VIII e-fan with a DCC controller.

Here are my questions:
Am I better off to go with a smaller (60-62mm) turbo or with a slightly larger (70-76mm) turbo, given my goals?
What boost level would I need to run with the smaller turbos? with the slightly larger turbos?
It seems like a larger turbo at lower boost would be "safer", less strain on motor? Is that right?

I want to minimize turbo lag, but also want to keep gas mileage as high as possible. How can these two goals be balanced?
How does A/R effect the two goals above? What do you recommend?
How do Wastegate and BOV size effect performance? What would you recommend for my goals?

What cam would you recommend for me? Is F cam good for good idle, good gas mileage, and 450hp/tq?

What turbo would you recommend for reliability? I know some have cooled bearing options and possibly other upgrades.
Overall, what set up would you recommend for my goals? I like Quicktime and Pony Down kits since I am on a tight budget.
Anything else you think I should consider?
I plan to ceramic coat all hot side inside and out, because heat is a concern for me also.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#3 ·
IMO a little lag is nice so you can drive like an N/A engine...I had two small -sh T3's and they hit boost very quick.. But it was very hard to drive economically...A T70 so compressors don't heat air too much...Any larger turbo, your getting off its efficaincy map for power level...
Ha? This is like asking, how long is a piece of string??
About 8Lb ?? As daily driver...

#4 ·
#9 ·
BOV size?
Normally to power levels or size of turbo etc...
The size is more important on wastegates..
The higher the boost levels the less a wastegate needs to work...In general...
Water cooled housings is nice but not 100% necessary..I favour bigger pan rather than cooler but either won't hurt...
Bearings etc on turbo ???
Well the budget Master Power are plain bearing and oil cooled meaning NO water cooling and they work o/k...The designers allow for it... By more oil flow...
Remember trucks have been runing non ball bearing for years with no issues.. Though there's more heat on petrol engine...
You don't generally come from 100 mph drive and stop anyway.. When I had plain bearings I take my seat belts off then turn engine off.. Thats all the run down time needed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.