Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, those two black piston-like things that hold the rear hatchback up? Where can I find them? What part # should I be looking for?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Any auto parts carries them, Advance, Strong Arm #4686, $14.69 for a GT.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
iwlbcnu said:
Any auto parts carries them
I'm surprised MD didn't find them. I see them at every auto parts store I drop in. Got new ones 7 years ago from Autozone and they still lift the hatch up by themselves.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Pep Girls, Autozone etc have them. Mine from Per Boys were lifetime. I just got replacements, although the new line of replacements did not say lifetime.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I go tmine at Texas Mustang also. Tryed Murrays auto parts but they wanted way to much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Guys, I have to tell you how good the Strong Arm #4686 are. I know I'm digging up an old one but this is a must have for a hatchback. I replaced my original 1993 hatch struts with Strong Arm #4686. These get the hatch up an additional 2.5". Much less chance to hit your head. Also, my glove box button now works properly to release the latch!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Guys, I have to tell you how good the Strong Arm #4686 are. I know I'm digging up an old one but this is a must have for a hatchback. I replaced my original 1993 hatch struts with Strong Arm #4686. These get the hatch up an additional 2.5". Much less chance to hit your head. Also, my glove box button now works properly to release the latch!
Are you saying that popping the hatch with the glove box button allows the hatch to open fully on it's own with the gas struts you used? I have new struts on mine and popping the hatch just unlatches it and I have to still raise the hatch manually. Past a foot or so open it stays pretty much where ever I leave it. Like it's in balance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts