Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it alot easier to probably to install both the motor and trans together but I dont feel like pulling out the trans for no reason just to reinstall it.
I need some tips on getting the input shaft to line up perfect without ant headaches.
Its a tremec trans.
I have a load leveler as well
thanks

·
Registered
35,049 Posts
Read your post twice, but I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Is the motor already out of the car? Is the transmission in the car or out of the car attached to the motor?

If you had the clutch removed from the flywheel, be sure you used a spline tool to line it back up before tightening it down. Even if you did, it can be difficult to get the input shaft in as even a slight misalignment between the center of the clutch splines and the pilot bearing can cause difficulty. If you didn't have the clutch removed from the flywheel, you won't have any problem re-inserting the tranny; it'll go right in whether you do it before you drop the engine in, or from underneath. If you drop the engine in w/o the tranny and install it from underneath, hook up the clutch cable first. If you have problems getting the input shaft all the way in, get it in as far as you can (the shaft has to be throught the clutch splines - it's usually the last 3/4" into the pilot bearing that's the problem) and then have someone push the clutch pedal in a bit. This will free up the clutch disc and allow you to easily move the shaft around until it lines up with the pilot bearing. Be patient - it'll go in. Don't try to force it in by turning the bolts on the tranny -- you can damage the tranny and/or the pilot bearing.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor is out of the car but the trans is still in the car.
Im getting ready to put the motor in the car and want to know how difficult is is when the trans is already in the car?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
just throw it in straight and have someone underneith..hardest part is getting the same angle as the tranny/lining up the input shaft while putting in a bolt to hold it once its lined up..i never do it like that anymore..

·
Registered
35,049 Posts
That's the one way I wouldn't try it either. It's much easier in my mind to drop the tranny down, install the engine, hook up the clutch cable and then try the tranny. Or drop the tranny, hook it to the motor while it's out of the car and drop the whole thing in. With the tilt sling, you should be able to do it that way. I wouldn't try it the way you are - it's just been difficult for me to move the engine around enough to get alignment with the tranny shaft. I always either drop the tranny first, or pull them out/put them in together.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I pulled the TKO out for a rebuild.
Then I pulled the motor for new heads/cam/intake.
I re-installed the motor, THEN the tranny from underneath.

My point, install the motor first, then align the tranny from underneath. I think it would be too hard to muscle a motor around, trying to thet the clutch & p/p to line up splines...

See here:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/new_engine

·
Registered
35,049 Posts
Darius - looked for you at the Dearborn event, but there were just too many cars/Mustangs -- made it easy for me to miss the one I was looking for. Fun time for me though....

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Dude,

I've never done it that way, but I just watched a buddy of mine install a motor with the trans still in the car.........not worth the hassle to me. Pull the tranny, drop the motor in, go under the car and stick the tranny back in. Worst part of it will be futzing around in the interior to get the shifter lever back on and the console back together. Oh, and heaving that heavy @ss Tremec up in place :). Still, much easier to me than fighting with the motor on the hoist, and the tranny on a floor jack under the car, trying to line the two up IMO.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I hear ya guys.
I just wanted to avoid having to take the console/shifter out and driveshaft, etc.
probably just do it all in one shot engine/tranny since I got the load leveler.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i put a aod/302 in and out twice together...not at all hard...i used a chain fall over head though lset the motor in on an angle and pushed the car foward.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've pulled the motor in my TBird more time than I care to remember. I always leave the tranny in place. With the car on the ground, put a jack under the transmission and raise the bell housing as high as possable. adjust the load leveler so the rear of the engine is tilted down, and lower it in. You will have to adjust the angle of the engine to match the angle of the transmission, and it will just slide into place. The only time I have ever had a problem with the splines not lining up was one time I had to remove the transmission for a rebuild. It was a PITA getting it back in that time. I do this all the time by myself, as my lazyass neighbors all hide when they know I'm going to install the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts