Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start adding more suspsension parts to my car once I get a new motor in it. As it is now it does not 60' worth anything, and spins the tires pretty badly in the first two gears on drag radials.
I am interested in something that will be good for 75% street use, but help me to transfer weight at the track. I do not want something that will make my car absolutely handle like crap, however I am far from a corner carver.
I also do not want something that is going to raise the ride height, lowering it slightly would be great.
So far all I have are full length welded subframe connectors.
Price of course is a deal here, so I do not need the most expensive parts.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
I would go with HPM Megabyte Jr's or Lakewood lowers. They both have instant center brackets and will help the car hook. Also, I like the adjustable uppers, take your pick, they are all just about the same price and made similarly. I like the UPR and HPM models. Some Tokico front adjustable drag struts are also nice. None of this stuff will make your car handle crappy.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mustangmichael said:
I would go with HPM Megabyte Jr's or Lakewood lowers. They both have instant center brackets and will help the car hook. Also, I like the adjustable uppers, take your pick, they are all just about the same price and made similarly. I like the UPR and HPM models. Some Tokico front adjustable drag struts are also nice. None of this stuff will make your car handle crappy.
Sounds like some good advice.. But assume that I know nothing of suspension work.
What about drag shocks, such as 50/50's, would these be placed in the front or rear?
What about springs? I would like for the car to be lowered even a 1/2", but dont want it raised at all. If the car were an inch lower that is fine, I just want a more aggressive stance, and better weight transfer.
Ok you mentioned drag struts, where will these come into play?
What about coil overs, don't coil overs enable you to adjust the ride height as well? Also, dont they also eliminate a specific part of the suspension, or take place of? Again, assume I know nothing because in reality I dont know a whole lot about suspension, but am trying to learn.

Thanks
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Dan, the 50/50's would be in the rear. Those numbers mean that 50% of the resistance is for downward movement, and the second means 50% of upward movement.
In a 90/10 shock, 90% of the resistance is in the downward movement, and only 10% for upward. Therefore the front end will move up very quickly with little resistance, and then take longer to come back down, against the resistance of the shock.
As for springs, to get what you want, 4cyl springs work really well for lowering, as well as great front end lift and travel. You could put them on the front, and put the megabytes on their lowest setting, and then the car should sit where you want it to.
Coil overs replace the coil spring on the front or rear of the car. They work well, but some complain of noise and clunking. If you run a front set of coil overs make sure to get long springs at least 14 inches, so that you will have enough spring to help the car extend the suspension up front. Also, a lighter 125 lb/in spring will allow you to screw the preload up very high, so that when the front end lifts, the spring will not top out, it will stay in contact with the top and bottom of the retainers.
I prefer adjustable drag struts. What adjustable struts do is allow adjustment of the bias, in other words, change that 90/10 to an 85/15, 80/20, etc. Most handling adjustable shocks and struts adjust firmness or resistance and not bias. This allows you to adjust how quickly the front end rises, which allows you to transfer weight more quickly or slowly, depending on your needs. Someone with a video camera can video your launches and allow you some insight on what is happening in those first 2 seconds of the run. Then you can adjust to compensate.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Dan,
You know that I indeed do quite a bit of street driving on the weekends and run the following:

D&D Front coilovers
Lakewood 90/10 struts up front
Lakewood 50/50 shocks out back

3.5" skinnies up front
26x15 (275/50/15's Nitto DR's out back)

How do I like the ride? I love it and as long as you're careful on turns ----- no problem.

One thing I will mention on the 90/10's though..... as soon as you hit the gas, the whole front end stands at attention.

Does that help?

Tim

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1BadAzzGT said:
Dan,
You know that I indeed do quite a bit of street driving on the weekends and run the following:

D&D Front coilovers
Lakewood 90/10 struts up front
Lakewood 50/50 shocks out back

3.5" skinnies up front
26x15 (275/50/15's Nitto DR's out back)

How do I like the ride? I love it and as long as you're careful on turns ----- no problem.

One thing I will mention on the 90/10's though..... as soon as you hit the gas, the whole front end stands at attention.

Does that help?

Tim
Hey Tim,

how does this effect the ride height of your car? Also, what springs are you using? The 90/10 "may" be a little much for, I may want to think about a 50/50 in the rear and a 70/30 up front, does that sound about right?
Id like to get a suspension that will also lower the car some, above was mentioned that 4 cylinder springs do this, however do I order the fox style or sn95 springs. All this is new to me.
gotta start somewhere.

Dan

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
paluka21 said:
Hey Tim,

how does this effect the ride height of your car? Also, what springs are you using? The 90/10 "may" be a little much for, I may want to think about a 50/50 in the rear and a 70/30 up front, does that sound about right?
Id like to get a suspension that will also lower the car some, above was mentioned that 4 cylinder springs do this, however do I order the fox style or sn95 springs. All this is new to me.
gotta start somewhere.

Dan
Dan,
If you want, go to MY SITE (CLICK HERE) and there are a few pictures in the "Image Gallery" and you can see what the ride height looks like. By the way, the ride height on my car is fine.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts