Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just turned 15 a couple months ago and I am going to buy a 95 Ford Mustang. I already do some racing with a Jr. Dragster. They run the 1/8 mile around 7.90 at 85 mph, but now I want to go faster. My dad and I are going to take out the stock engine and put in a 392 crate engine from SVO Ford. We have most of the parts laid out, but I want a few suggestions.

I am looking for a good pair of cylinder heads. Any suggestions.

Also needs a good intake manifolds and exhaust system.

With all this power we are going to need a different suspension setup. Any suggestions would be great.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

:confused:

-Heads_Up_Racer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be fuel injection and it does need to pass emissions. I was thinking about the Trick Flow or AFR heads. Thanks for the help so far people.

·
Registered
735 Posts
afr 185 heads victor efi intake 75mm throttle body and a custom cam i recomend an 1 3/4 inch primary long tube header but with the sn95 cars i think you'll need a custom set made to get a header that size. as far as suspension some good tubualr lower control arms and double adjustable uppers to set the pion angle and an air bag in the right rear spring since your car needs to go to emissions an anti roll bar is out of the question as you'll need tail pipes for the test. a good set of adjustable shocks and struts from tockio or strange so you can adjust them for the track and street . i don't know how far you want to go in the suspension department but you could go a bit more radical if your looking for straight line performace only . dump the front sway bar and put drag springs up front or coil overs and a tubular k member.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Buy the 392 shortblock + some AFR 185's. There was an article done by MM+FF in which they swapped the GT-40X heads that came with the longblock for AFR 185's. They picked up 75 HP!!!!!

Needless to say, FRPP will be sitting on quite a pile of GT-40X aluminum heads after that embarassment.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
No **** they picked up 75hp, X heads are junk as cast on a 302, nevermind with 90 more cubes.

That being said, you need to figure out what you want from the car first. You can get heads that go from mild to wild, depending how fast you want to go. Figure it out before you spend the money.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My first suggestion would be to not buy the SVO 392 shortblock....you can buy/build a better shortblock for less.

Top it with AFR185 or TW heads, a TFS R intake, and a decent hyd. roller cam and you'll have a very reliable powerful combo.

·
Registered
316 Posts
TURBOX2 said:
My first suggestion would be to not buy the SVO 392 shortblock....you can buy/build a better shortblock for less.
I agree. If you piece together yourself, you can get better pistons (forged), better rods (nice forged h or i beams), and a better crank (forged, knife-edged, etc). Also you can get the smaller Chevy rod journals, and if you run the bearing inserts you could run the smaller Cleveland mains.

One of the biggest complaints about the Windsor motor is the huge main and rod bearings (not exactly the best for a Hi RPM motor).

Also you could go to a 408 as well. All this for the same price or less than the Ford crate 392.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eric & TURBOX2

We will look into the cost of building our own engine, however we like the convience of just buying a crate engine. So we can build a 408 for the same cost? Thanks for the suggestions.

Blk88GT

I want to run high 11s to low 12s and it to be street legal. I will look at the AFR 185 or 205 and TF heads, compare prices, and make the decision after looking at their flow charts. Thanks for the suggestions.

blue stanger

HeHe.

Needless to say, FRPP will be sitting on quite a pile of GT-40X aluminum heads after that embarassment.
What do you think about the suggestions about building our own engine? Would it be worth the time? Ill remember that 75 HP increase on the AFR heads. Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, i'll start doing some research and see what else you have come up with. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Heads_Up_Racer said:
So we can build a 408 for the same cost?
Not same cost. Cheaper. And with better parts. That crate motor has hypereutectic pistons and a cast crank, you can do forged pistons and crank for less money. Check out some sites like http://www.adperformance.com/rotate351.html, right there is a nice 408 rotating assembly for $1249. Find a jy 351 for cheap, spend about $500 on machine work and balancing the rotating assembly, put it together yourself or pay someone to do it, and you'll be way ahead of that SVO crate motor in both price and quality of components.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You could probably put a 392 together for fairly cheap if you shopped around as it uses a 351w block and rods, 302 pistons and a special crank.I see Summit Racing sells the crank for $549 and I have seen Scat ones on ebay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts