Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys need some help, a friend just picked up an 86GT and is having problems. The problem is that when he tries to get on the gas it will bog then buck (bad!!! you feel like is trying to throw you out of the car) and backfire, though when I drove it, it never backfired. The car has a new fuel pump, wires rotor cap, not sure about the plugs. The timing is at 12, where should we look, and how to tell what’s causing this, could it be the fuel filter, a bad injector. A funny thing is that it seems to be OK when you first start it but when it warms up it gets bad. You cant drive this thing as it site and I want to beat on it a little, thanks

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Try a fuel filter, then get a fuel pressure gauge, and check to make sure it's not a bad regulator. If that's fine, then you will be messing with the ignition. Make sure there are no vaccum leaks also.

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks another problem is that it idles at around 1500, and the screw is turned all the way down? Im stumped.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Sounds like a HUGE vacumn leak to me.....

Put a vacumn gauge on it and see what it pulls at idle, with a stock cam it should be at least 12-14 in/Hg...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts