Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is the deal. 91 Mustang Coupe. Stock block. Woverine cam, .212-.222 @.50 .493-.510 lift. Edelbrock Performer heads, Cobra Upper and Lower Intakes, MAC 70mm TB, C&L 76mm Mass Air, 24# injectors, Crane FP regulator, Under drive pullies, FRPP shorty headers and off road h-pipe, MAC catback, 4:10 gears, and its an AOD with shift kit. Now for the problem. The best it has ever run is 13.6's in cold weather. I know a stall converter would do wonders, but call me crazy I think it should run much better as is with out a stall. I just need opinions on what might the the kink in my combonation. Its' driving me nuts so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
60 ft 2.08 trap 98mph

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Tires your running? I think you are running as good as the cam will let you......custom cam for your specific vehicle weight & goodies is what i think.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was running BG Goodrich Drag Radials, they were sticking like glue, didnt think a cam would hold you back that early in the game.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Me niether for many years, until I met my current mechanic. We both were drag racing fanatics, mechanically inclined, and shared a passion for understanding the dynamics of going faster. Mind you, through engine blueprinting techniques, lighter recipricating assemblies, and eventually cams. Off the shelf Comp cams have always been my favorite. But doug,(my mechanic), always seemed to pull better e.t's at the track with less motor than many other guys did. he evetually mentioned that his custom cam grinder played a very important part in determining the right cam for the right situation. Anydrawbacks? You bet...change the combination & risk power loss or no gains because you've progressed beyond the parameters of which the cam was intended. you've come to the point of needing to go beyond the normal bolt-ons & consider the next steps very carefully. How much farther are you going & how much more money are you going to spend? A cam grinder, if you have a game plan, can build a cam to a future combination. But, again, you have to also reach that point & the cam will not be efficient until that point is reached. I'm having a .030 over stock roller motor put together; albeit slowly due to fund issues. The only mods will be GT40 heads with a mild port, cobra intake, & yada yada yada very similar to your combination......plus a custom cam. Trust me.. it will be worth every penny...just like a bit more converter would help you also.........

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for the advice! Anyone else have different pioint of view or opinion?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I think 13.6 isnt to bad but your 98 mph trap sucks! I think you should be more around 104-106 mph...

What rpm are you shifting ? Whats the rpm at when your at the end of the track?

What is your fuel pressure set at and whats the timing at ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the timing is set at 15 or so i believe, i cant remember where i had the fuel pressure at on that run. What would you think a good pressure would be? the mph it has ever gotten is 101.2 and that was about 13.70

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think your mph is dead on. Right where my car is for that ET.

My car likes stock fuel pressure. Increasing it slows me down every time!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Steve93mustanglx said:
I think your mph is dead on. Right where my car is for that ET.

My car likes stock fuel pressure. Increasing it slows me down every time!
My cobra at 3600#s was running 99-100mph with just 373s & a exhaust! come on he has got a coupe for god sakes !!

I think the cam is holding you back. But also i bet your tranny is also killing you..Get a new converter setup for your car and watch the ET plummit...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there an off the shelf cam that someone thinks will help improve/ I know you can get one custom ground but thats 300+ bucks

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
go for the converter first...dont worry about the cam yet....

·
Registered
822 Posts
94BLOWNCOBRA said:
My cobra at 3600#s was running 99-100mph with just 373s & a exhaust! come on he has got a coupe for god sakes !!
Well, he is right were I was when I was in 13.60's. I'm 3 tenths quicker and only now cracking 100. I wouldn't sweat the cam yet. Plenty of people have gone much faster than he and I--on a stock cam. Get the convertor first.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thats kinda what i was thinking, ive seen cars go quicker with stock cams and stock heads thats why i was wondering what the heck

·
Registered
921 Posts
Big thing everyone is missing besides the converter. Take the lower intake off and have it gasketmatched to a fel-pro 1250. I did this with a simialr combo on my 93 and picked up almost 5 mph with no other changes. I did it myself at home with that SA motorsports cartridge kit summit sells and a wal-mart air grinder for like $10 and the kit was like $30. the cam is fine but how was it installed? degreed? what length pushrods did you use? and rockers?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I missed the fact that the non-performance convertor Ford installed is still in the car...........GET IT OUT OF THERE, PRONTO!!!!

The stock convertor is pure crap for performance, stall speed is less than 2000 rpm!! Get a 2500 non-lock unit (modified valve body) or go with a 3500 lock-up unit. Spend the money for a good convertor, cheap convertors are junk.

You'll be amazed with the performance then..........like at least a second quicker at least!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Frog

The cam was put in straight up, the pushrods and rockers are stock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts