Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, heres the situation. I was driving to work the other day and I was siting at the light and all of a sudden all my gauges went dead and thr rpm gauge started jumping. Batt volts went to almost nothing so i figured it was the batt or alternator. Went to leave on lunch and it was dead. It took a couple of trys jumping for it to crank but it did and the volts were right above the middle line like they always were so i figured it was just a loose wire. Well on the way home it did it again but the amp light came on and stayed on. I shut the car off and it wouldn't crank. Amp light was still on but I could smell something kinda like something burning but no smoke. Got a jump and left it running but it died after about 5 minutes. I got a new alternator and still wouldn't stay charged. Oh the burning smell was coming from the old alt! SO went and got a new batt and it stayed charged but now it doesn't charge up all the way. The alt is keeping it charged but not lie it should. The alt is from autozone and it is a VALUCRAFT
75 AMP ALTERNATOR. Replaced and wiring harness with the one it came with. When the lights are on you can tell everyhing is dim like the dash lights and headlights and interior lights. I have a amp hooked up but its not on. I went by autozone and had them test the charging system and the guy said it was charging but not near enough. He told me to go to the ohter store and have them test it cause his machine was some times off. So i did and they say its fine. HAHA yeah right. Do you guys have any ideas of what it could be? Loose wire, bad ground some where? Alternator no good? Anything would help!! oh it is a 87 Mustang Gt 5.0!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have an external regulator? I had one go out, and it fried the battery, and crispied the internals in the alt. Otherwise there isn't alot to the charging system, make sure all your connections are good, check the fusible links. If you still have problems after replacing the regulator, send me a message, and I'll tell you what wires to check.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the regulator located and what does it look like? I will replace it tommorrow and Ill message you and tell u if that fixed the problem. In the mean time what wires should I check and where are they located. Thanks Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
does your alternator have the plugs that clip in from the sides, or have 1(or 2) wires that push onto the back, and the 1 big wire to tighten down with the nut on the back? I think 87 is the change over year between the EVR and the IVR.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok that means you have an internal voltage regulator(IVR). I'll be back after work, around 7.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK we changed the both wiring harnesses and they are ok. We had the new alt checked its fine. We put a larger batt in, do you think that might be it? To big of a batt and the alt can't charge it enough? I'm out of ideas and Its gonna take 55 bucks an hour for a shop to try and find a electrical problem and I relly don't wanna do that. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts