Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching the forums for days trying to get a handle on what exactly i need in order to get this swap done with minimum hassle etc as it will need to happen quickly and i want to avoid any pitfalls. I have some questions and would like to hear what you all have to say. Thanks in advance.

Plan on using a used F150 Coyote as the base to start and may swap it out later depending on which direction i want to go aluminatior/coyote stock etc. Car will be mainly a street car but will see monthly trips to the strip. Still up in the air about PS/PB/AC at the moment

1. For those that have used the F150 engines did you end up changing the oil pump gears, do you think its needed? What about the alternator, which route did you go? Any other tips or recommendations with the F150 unit? Did you use the F150 oil pan or swap it to a Moroso etc?

2. What kmember do you find works best with these. I know there are many options MM, UPR, Team Z, Afco etc, and just wanted your opinion to those who have used them.

3. Is it worth paying more for the Kooks headers over the BBK? In regards to cat backs, is it worth it to to go to a 3inch? Only one i see on the market with a bolt on kit is magnaflow at the moment for 3 inch.

4. How much luck are people using running the standard Fox guages, any areas of concern?

5. Are some of the return fuel kits offered out there a good way to go or is it better to put it together yourself? Any recommendations?

6. Is a built T-5 going to handle the abuse or is it better to put a TKO in it right from the go?

Sorry for all the questions just want to get this as streamlined as possible for the time i have permitted for the swap. Any other tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have anything else to add? That Facebook group recommended above doesnt seem to want to approve me for some reason.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a complete coyote engine harness and ecu out of a 2014 f150, what is the issue with the oil gesr you speak of?

t5 would be hard pressed behind the coyote not to mention the diffferent bellhousing

Ive always just ran hard lines and dropped a couple pumps in the tank

·
Registered
35,904 Posts
6. Is a built T-5 going to handle the abuse or is it better to put a TKO in it right from the go?
Better define "built T5".... The Astro A5 is available in torque ratings that significantly exceed the torque output of the Coyote.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oil pump gears are known to be a weak link and it seems that many are replacing them with stinger units for insurance.

Yeah, I'm framiliar with the overall fuel system set up but was curious about complete kits for this purpose due to time constraints I'll have once the build starts

I have a complete coyote engine harness and ecu out of a 2014 f150, what is the issue with the oil gesr you speak of?

t5 would be hard pressed behind the coyote not to mention the diffferent bellhousing

Ive always just ran hard lines and dropped a couple pumps in the tank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I basically had the Astro unit in mind. For the price range of the unit am I better off going with a more robust example right off the jump such as the TKO or will the top Astro be trouble free for street/strip use

Better define "built T5".... The Astro A5 is available in torque ratings that significantly exceed the torque output of the Coyote.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Old thread I know, but here's a magazine article where sean hyland had one of his shop tech's do a budget coyote swap, answers some basic Q's.

How to Install a 5.0 Coyote Into a Fox Mustang - Breeding Easy

Also, if using a F150 coyote, be aware that the oil pump gears are a different thickness than Mustang's, and they don't interchange.

F150 2wd pan is basically the same as the Mustang, can be used but may need motor mount spacers and offset rack bushings.

F150 timing cover is slightly different too, doesn't have all the same bolt bosses finished and tapped.

Been researching this a while, hopefully by the time my car is ready for the motor swap, I won't run into any big surprises.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts