Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine owns a Procharged (P1SC) GT. He lost fueling during a run and ended up toasting a ring land on a piston. Anyway, we need to do a rebuild now and I'd love some advice on which way to go and who to get the parts from.

To correct the fuel problem, we're going to go with an '03 Cobra dual-pump setup.

As far as the engine, we're thinking of just buying some forged pistons (8.5:1) and forged connecting rods and putting the thing back together in basically stock trim (after proper machining, of course). Seems like a fairly economical approach that will afford quite an extra degree of durability.

The horsepower target is around 400rwhp. Is there something else we need to do? I know that we can get extra power out of new heads / cams, etc, but I'm more concerned with engine durability than maximum power potential.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I would suggest getting a Cobra crankshaft while you have the thing apart.

Steve

·
Registered
329 Posts
Probe pistons, Manley rods, Cobra crank, and ARP hardware. That is what I have found and will be adding myself. As far as just rebuilding stock, I intend on doing pretty much the same. But, for the total cost involved and since you have the engine in pieces already, you may want to consider new cams (or at least a bigger, better oil pan.
j/m .02

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you're doing all that spend a couple more bucks for a better piston. CP or JE make a great blower piston.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you *absolutely* know you will be staying at the 400-450rwhp range, the 2v crank is sufficient. The rods/pistons are the weak link. If you're on a budget just replace them. If you have the money then do the other things recommended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts