Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an old lady that live next door with an 84 LX notch with under 70K on it, the int looks as if it just came off the lot, with a little fade and the body is straight never been in any accidents, but on the right aside quarter she miss judged a turn and scraped it so it needs body work, not to mention its poo brown but what ever. Anyway its got the 6cyl/auto I have an 86GT that I bought cause it was 5Luged but the body is junk. so my question should i get the notch and what will I need to swap over everything. I want to run the efi how will the computer effect the gauges? Will I need to run a pod out of the 86? What tranny does the car have? I’m thinking about leaving the auto? What problems will I run into? do the brake lines need to be swapped and I assume the gas tank and lines will have to be swapped right? Thanks

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Gauges should be fine, would just need to splice them. Find some wiring diagrahms. If its a 3.8 V6/auto, should be a C3 tranny(piece of crap), K-member should be the same, but the mounts will need to come off. If its a CFI(EFI-ish) V6, the fuel lines can stay...maybe...don't know.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yeah, the gauges on a Fox Mustang don't go through the computer like on newer cars. You'll find the gauge harness comes out of the firewall high on the drivers side while the EEC harness comes out on the passenger side. There are a couple of wires that cross between harnesses but you'll be able to figure it out from the diagrams. Anyway for the gauges just connect the wires from the V6 oil and coolant senders to the V8 senders. They'll look similar. Ammeter and fuel you won't have to worry about. The tach may have a rotary switch on the back to switch it between 4, 6, and 8 cylinder with a standard screwdriver. You'll have to pull the instrument panel to look and if you're swaping engines pulling the cluster is no big deal. If no switch then just grab the cluster out of the 86

I'm thinking the 84 V6 should still be carbureted but don't quote me on that. If it's carbureted you'll need the 86's fuel tank and lines in addition to the EEC harness. It might almost be easier to just make it carbureted either way...

You'll want the 8.8 rear axle out of the 86 as the V6 will have the 7.5.

The V6's came with three-speed auto's. Weak variants of the C4 and will need to be fixed or replaced.

It's a big job but doable. Enjoy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts