Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all... so far this winter i have replaced absolutely every part on the engine while building my 347, except for the lifters. i guess i could use the stockers, but i dont think i feel comfortable with them being the only part that isnt brand new.
SO, what should i do? get ford racing replacements, or the expensive crane ones. i have the valvetrain ready to rev to 7000 i think. (moly rods, tfs track heat heads, crane extrude rockers, tfs stage 3 cam)
i have been told that the stock lifters will rev to the moon, and that all lifters are basically the same, unless u go with the crane high revvin ones with the attachments. any truth to that?
thanks.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Just go with the "Ford Racing" ones from Summit for $109 (made by Crane). Those are the exact same ones that they put in on the assembly line and they'll work just fine.
For some reason Ford likes to call most of their stock replace ment parts "Ford Racing" these days....I guess it helps their sales by making people think they're getting an upgraded part when they're actually getting a stock replacement piece :rolleyes:
Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Use the stock ones
you don't need to spend $100 on new ones unless the rollers are scored or don't roll freely.
I am using a set with 50k on them and have a set with 90k on them as a back up. there have been no problems with the three diferent cams that I have had.

Tim

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
It will collaps and not open the valve all the way. It won't hurt the motor other than making it run bad.
I would not be concerned about the lifters that you have. If there were no problems before they should be ok.
Also be sure to check the valve train geometry. I had trouble with those rockers and ended up selling them and getting Scorpion to get the geometry in spec.

Good Luck
Tim

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good, the only problem i saw was on piston number 4. the forward lifter was burnt on the bearing.

so whats the difference between a hydraulic, and a mechanical? am i right in assuming that hydraulics have internal moving parts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts