Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just finished up my PI intake swap at 12 am..... The car starts up and idles a little ruff.... But when you rev it there is a horible leak somewhere... I have checked and rechecked the bolts, torques, and sequences... And nothing seem to work...

It sounds like there is a back fire in the intake....

What could it be :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
847 Posts
did you swap heads too?? take a can of wd40 and spray it around the intake, when you spray it on the problem area the car will die or damn near die.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is why just putting the intake on NPI heads is stupid. Somone might get lucky and have no leaks, but still they are not made to mate with each other. Plus the first guy who did it, wether he admits or not has massive leaks, he ran 10.5:1 Air Fuel up in the revs. People who do this swap are all gonna wind up messing things up. If you really want to do it, just order the adapter plates from livernois motorsports, an you wont get any leaks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Uncle Bens Assassin said:
This is why just putting the intake on NPI heads is stupid. Somone might get lucky and have no leaks, but still they are not made to mate with each other. Plus the first guy who did it, wether he admits or not has massive leaks, he ran 10.5:1 Air Fuel up in the revs. People who do this swap are all gonna wind up messing things up. If you really want to do it, just order the adapter plates from livernois motorsports, an you wont get any leaks.
I would like to order the plates, but unfortunately they are only offered in the kit for big bucks.:( That is why there are a lot of people trying to make this work without them. If they would break them out for a reasonable price, you wouldn't be seeing this happen.

If there is a leak, unfortunately, look at some of the posts on modulardepot regarding using RTV in spots and make sure you are using the NPI gasket. Don't give up yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Uncle Bens Assassin said:
If you really want to do it, just order the adapter plates from livernois motorsports, an you wont get any leaks.
Livernois has silly high prices. If they were a bit more reasonable I don't think people would be trying to "wing" it as much. I don't think they are the "end-all" however and I am sure in a few months, we will have more reasonable options.
-- Dennis

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I happend to have the intake lying around so I figured what the heck? Well this isn't the first intake I have put on a car, but this whole PI intake on N-PI heads has proved to be a bit more of a headache than it is worth....

If it doesn't all work out today after I trouble shooot, I am just going to put the old POS on.... This has become a major PITA... It was torqued down to the spec, and sequence needed, the gasket was RTV'd on the spots needed, and it still leaks like a bitch...

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I am going to attempt the same thing so I am reading your post with interest (fear?). Where do the leaks sound like they are coming from (front/back/sides)? Which gasket did you use-PI one is correct (?) I was thinking about trying to fabricate some spacers from a pair of aluminum blocks. My case could even be worse with 10 psi of boost. Did it look like the PI gasket covered the entire ports on the NPI heads? If so, I wonder why it should leak? Is there a spot where it gets kind of close? Hang in there!
Erich

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you sure it is leaking? I had to change out my intake b/c of the plastic crack problem, and when I reinstalled, it idled rough and lost power when hitting the gas. After lots of trouble-shooting, turned out that I screwed up my spark plug wires when I pulled them out. Easy and cheap to fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It makes a loud TAP TAP sound everytime you hit the gas.... I have given up on this damn car.... I'm taking it to ford to get fixed and then I am selling it..

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Is this noise related to the leak? Maybe you should put the old one back on and check it then. Sounds pretty nasty.
Good luck,
Erich

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm having second thoughts on this too, I picked up a 2002 PI intake up with in 3 days of the first post on this subject like a week ago and now I'm seeing I need a new heater hose and some other new stuff I think I might just sell it but I really want this too go on its just seeming like alot more work then first thought.........

·
Registered
193 Posts
you are supposed to use a non-pi intake gasket!! the heater hose that you are talking about can be lengthend with another piece on tubing. its not that hard, i am goin to do this soon!!

thanks,justin

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am working on my own CNCd adapter plates and if it goes well, I may offer some for sale for people that only want the plates... I should be able to make them much cheaper than the Livernois kit.(P.S. - not trying to advertise)

·
Registered
107 Posts
xtort said:
I am working on my own CNCd adapter plates and if it goes well, I may offer some for sale for people that only want the plates... I should be able to make them much cheaper than the Livernois kit.(P.S. - not trying to advertise)
Hey, I salute anyone trying to use their technical expertise to help us mod our cars! I have no problem paying a reasonable fee because if you come up with a good plate, you have the right to earn something from your labor. I just don't like the way Livernois is trying to gouge people! $650 for a $100 plastic intake and adapter plate. Gimme a freakin break!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey Scott, I had to replace my intake (with a non pi intake) a few weeks ago when it developed a crack. The car ran like crap for 3 days-no power, missfiring, tap,tap,tap sounds, whatever you wanna call it. After putting the spark plug wires in the correct places it was still doing it. It ended up being two things-one of my spark plug wires decided to take a crap so I was running without that cylinder getting a spark. The second problem was that coolant had gotten into all of my spark plug holes and the electricity wasnt getting to the spark plug... pull your plugs and see how they look. That is probably where a lot of your problems are.

·
Registered
852 Posts
xtort said:
awesome. I would interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts