Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, and the info is really scattered...

I'm not sure I need a stud girdle, but if I do go with one, which is the best brand for the money?

Cat? Canton? Trick Flow? DSS? etc.?

Which do not require any main cap machining?

And which of these girdles will clear the stock 88-89 oil pan?

Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
Go with the probe piece, the pro series. The CAT suff is from china and depending on what T-72 tank they melted that week the quality is scarey.

Chris

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
lol, my CAT looked fine. My engine builder told me to get it, but we tossed the studs it came with. They looked like some junk they made in a back yard with some all thread and a hacksaw.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have a Probe Pro with ARP main studs on the way, I can send you pics when I get it - later this week.

All girdles say *may* need machine work.

Ian

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
According to my machinist, any time you bolt a metal plate to the maincaps, it will distort the main bores, and require a line hone. This is due to the fact that the main caps are not all the exact same height where the girdle bolts on. And the girdle will pull the main bore out of alignment. Having said all that, some people get away with not having to line hone, but everyone that I have done required a hone.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, any more suggestions on brand preference?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
the complete canton setup would be nice for a stock block: girdle, tray, stud kit, and pan. Not that I would know, owning a dartblock and moroso pan lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
John makes some good points. You should always line hone the mains when you install a stud girdle. As for machining the caps the manufacturer will tell you if that's required. Off the top of my head the Trick Flow race version requires cap machining. The Canton, Trick Flow "Street" version and the DSS don't require cap machining. They all will do the job IMO. I have a Trick Flow on my engine combined with ARP studs. My pan is an '89 and needed a slight massaging for it to fit...nothing major though.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I use the DSS Main support and I like the quality of their support.The only aggrivating thing about it was I had to Machine/CNC a Hole through the support so the Dipstick would pass through the girdle and read my oil correctly.The DSS instructions said I could just Bend the Dipstick tube Down and not have to machine the hole, but It was impossible to do that and still be able to Install and Remove the Dipstick tube..BTW, I am using the Stock Dipstick/Tube and Im using my Stock oilpan..

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts