Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every since i bought my car 2 years ago, the sound system has been terrible. whoever had the car before me obviously had a big system in it, because there are two sets of rca's ran in the car, plus power wire and remote wire for an amp. of course they removed all of the equipment before i bought the car. the sound was pretty good until i would turn it up loud, then they would get real staticy, i would turn the radio off for a minute, then back on and it was fine again until i turned it back up. so i broke down and bought some new 6x8's. check all of the wiring in the harness and everything, and the new speakers do the same thing. i have a kenwood cd player, could it be in that? also, do non mach 460 cars have any factory amps? behind my cd player there appears to be a factory amp of some sorts. i didn't think my car had one?? any help is always appreciated! thanks

·
11,039 Posts
Is the static something that is always there at high volume?

Does the static change with engine speed?

You might want to buy a noise supressor for the power line.

Also, I highly recommend you break down and buy a separate amp, the speakers will just sound better.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's like once i turn it up, it just sort of goes static and drowns out. it will stay that way as long as i leave it on. if i turn it off then back on, it fine again, at least until i turn it back up. so are you saying that my car does have a factory amp? do you think that may be causing my problem? can the cd player cause a problem like this? thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes you do have a factory amp. My car had a Ford Factory cassette deck in it when I bought it. Definetly not the 460. My stereo installer told me I had a factory amp for the back speakers and that he could use them. I have a Clarion CD and 4 Polk 6x8's and it sounds fine. No boom, but then I'm 40 and my music doesn't have boom. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
To check if you have a factory amp just look at the wiring harness behind the deck (the factory one, not the kenwood harness). If you have gray and black flat plugs then its not factory amped. If you have one flat plug and one square plug then it is amped. If its not amped, the problem is your deck most likely. If it is amped then its probably the factory amp (those things are terrible for inducing noise, static, pops etc). btw speakers don't cause noise or static, they just play what is fed to them.

oh...I'm an mecp certified installer so I'm not just b.s.'ing you!

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I first got my car I ran my stereo though the factory amp but it distorted when turned up loud, so I ran new wires from the deck to the speakers. This also made it easier when I upgraded to amps, new speakers and a sub.

·
11,039 Posts
White94,
It sounds like your speakers are not a good match for the amp, which is probably "clipping".

Again, it's difficult to tell from your description, but I believe you're saying that it's definitely not engine-noise related, it sounds fine at normal volume, but up loud the thing starts barking.

Troubleshooting the correct way would be to pull the head unit out and physically check the wiring to see what your setup is, and whether you are running the Ford amp.
Troubleshooting the fun way is to log on to Crutchfield and buy an amp that kicks arse and just install the fncker. If that solves the problem, have a beer, if not, log on to Crutchfield and buy...
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts