Ford Mustang Forums banner

Need Help with Lowering -- Springs, Shocks, Struts???

516 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Blk89GT 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 GT Vert and I replaced my stock springs with Steeda Sport Springs, which lowered the entire car 1 1/2 inches. My car is stiff, but still bottoms out sometimes.
I am having the complete Cobra R front bumper installed and I am wondering if I should stiffen the suspension more so I don't scrape the nose all the time.
Can anyone suggest a good stiff suspension parts to go with my Steeds Sport Springs?
Thanks,
Lisa.

#2 · (Edited)
I can't imagine you having a problem with bottoming just from the Steeda springs. You may want to investigate if your hitting your bottoming stop for the rear axle on jounce. If that's the case you could modify the stop or go with an adjustable one.

If that isn't the problem you could always upgrade to a set of shocks and struts that have adjustable compression, say something from KYB, Tokico or Koni. I know the Tokico and the Koni are good products but don't know much about the KYB adjustables. Depending on the mileage your rear shocks may already be worn out. The ones on my Cobra were shot after 30,000 miles. I went with Bilsteins on my Cobra and even though they are not adjustable I am very pleased with them.

#3 ·
Thanks, Glenn. I've heard great things about the Bilsteins so I think I'll go with those. I only have 15k miles on the car, but this should be nice. :)
I appreciate your help.
Lisa.

#4 ·
mustanglisa said:
Thanks, Glenn. I've heard great things about the Bilsteins so I think I'll go with those. I only have 15k miles on the car, but this should be nice. :)
I appreciate your help.
Lisa.
No problem, always glad to help out a new member of the Corral. I just recently had a similar problem when I had a 2" lowering spring on the rear of my Cobra. Turned out the axle was hitting the bottoming stop. I swapped out the 2" drop rear springs for some FRPP B springs and now it is off the stop and drives and handles much better.

#5 ·
Like Glenn said, check out the rear axle stops.

I know that mine are bottoming out, but ive got a set of FMS springs that lowered the car 2 1/2".

Bilstein struts/shocks are good. If you want adjustability, try Koni's. Their expensive just lke Bilsteins, but they have a lifetime warranty and are one of the best shocks/struts you can get for a street car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.