Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 Cobra - I've never been worried about my car, but this sound bothers me when the car is cold. It's a ticking or knocking, yet slightly squeaky sound that continues until the car is FULLY warmed up. It's hard to describe, but doesn't sound like engine knock. Takes about 6-8 minutes of driving for it to go away. It speeds up slightly with RPM's. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, but it sounds like it's right at the front of the block, but I could be wrong. Like I said, it goes away completely when it's warmed up. The sound is so loud I can hear it inside the car on the highway, and I have O/R H and flows. Think I should get it checked out?

Craig

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like you may have 'noisy' timing chains(2 of them). Sometimes, the tensioner gets dirty/worn and can't be extended by the oil. How 'dirty' is your oil............??? There are also some plastic(nylon?) track guides that can be worn or broken.

Dan

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil was changed 2K miles ago, and it's been doing it for a few weeks. I checked oil, and it was fine. Just wondering if I should be worried about it if it predictably goes away after about 10 minutes of driving.

Thanks man,

Craig

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to a garage down the road from where I work and the guy said either the belt had some "hard spots" in it, or it was the tensioner pulley. He suggested spraying wd-40 on the tensioner while the car was off and see if that clears it up, but if it doesn't, he said get a "yates" belt for it. He said they were pricey, but they have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for all your help.

Craig

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 5 bucks says it's your tensioner pulley, I had the exact same symptoms with mine. Your tensioner pulley is designed to move in a vertical plane only, however there is a design or manufacturing flaw that is allowing slight horizontal movement as well. The sounds you are hearing are caused by the tensioner moving slightly forward and allowing the rotating pulley to strike the belt guard that bolts over top of the the tensioner pulley and arm. An easy way to confirm this is to simply remove the guard (3 13mm bolts) and inspect the guard plate and pulley for any signs of rubbing. It took me a few months to finally figure this out since there are a number of different sounds such as knocking & ticking (the pulley striking the plate) and squeeling (the rotating pulley rubbing on the plate).
Ford has a kit that includes an upgraded pulley, a bolt that mounts on the tensioner pulley that's used to reduce the pulley pressure when removing or installing the belt and a new belt. Since I changed mine, I haven't heard any strange sounds. Ford should cover this if you're still under warranty.

Good luck.

Bret

·
Registered
305 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts