Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
wondering if somenone can help me decide on a cam for my brothers car. the car is an 81 coupe with a 5.0 out of a 88 t-bird. this is not an H.O. motor. we plan to give it a quick overhaul this summer, rings, bearings, cam and valve springs. the engine currently has an edelbrock performer 289 intake and an edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel carb. the rest of the engine is stock. he has dynomax 1 5/8 full length headers and an exhaust he welded up himself. he is also running a c-4 trans with stock converter(out of my 79) and a 8.8 posi trac with 3.08:1 gears(i think) out of an 87 lx.
i'm thinking we should put in either an E-303 or an F-303, but i'm not sure which. does anyone know if there will be any clearance issues with either of these? what kind of times/power could we expect out of this? does anyone have a different recomendation? i'm also gonna try and talk him into doing a little head porting, but we're till in the planning stages. we are working on a very tight budget here so most bang for the buck is crucial. any help is greatly appreciated.
btw, the car is almost exclusively used on the street but we're hoping to get to the strip this summer(almost 200 miles to the nearest one).
thanks in advance
also tried the search, but everyone has aftermarket gears or aluminum heads, that's a long ways in the future for him

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can't use either of the cams you listed they are roller cams and this is a non-roller block......I believe you can get a conversion kit to make this a roller block but I'm not sure??? If not edelbrock has some good street cams for this motor.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually it is a factory roller cam engine, saw the bracket that retains the lifters myself when i put the intake on. ford put roller cams in the standard 5.0's also, not just the H.O. the H.O. is only different because it has a larger cam and forged pistons. i believe it was 85 when they changed the block, thus calling it a 5.0 rather than a 302.
anyway, anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
come on guys, 31 veiws and nobody can help?
in other words.........ttt :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Call bennett Racing,John will put it together for you after
you tell him your setup!!And your done with the best....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
just as a side note if anyone is interested, the deal with the roller cam and the 5.0/302 thing has been bothering me, don't want to be posting bad tech:D anyway, i looked in a book called Ford Windsor Small Block Performance by Isaac Martin and it says that ford switched to metric (5.0L) in 1982, they began putting roller cams in the 5.0 in 1985.
there, feel much better now:D
thanks for the reply t-trim, does bennet carry the regular roller cams or are they mostly for custom cams? reason i ask is because a custom is beyond my brothers budget. thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I know that non H.O. has a different firing order so you may still not be able to use those ford cams. someone will shoot me down if I am wrong tho! ;) It might be easy to switch the firing order, I'm not sure if the Crank is different. just my two cents.

Nick

·
Registered
891 Posts
Actually from what I have always bee told the non HO blocks were roller cam compatible, but did not come with roller cams. You basicly had to drill the holes in the block provisions for the retainer plate. It is possible the engine was not the original one in the t- bird. I would maybe look at the casting number and double check it.

Regardless if you saw the reatainer plate you should have a roller cam. Being that the car is sporting a C4 with 3.08 gears I would stay away from any of the FRPP cams. Most of them lack the lowend torque the C4/3.08 gear combo would need with a stock stall convertor. Since your on a budget I would watch Ebay or the classifieds for something in the 210-216 range @.050 with a 112 lobe center. You should maintain most of the lowend and have a broad power range with something like that.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes firing order would be different in a non HO. Plug wires can simply go to HO firing order if running the HO cam though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as the firing order, jdsgalops is right on that, the standard 5.0 uses the 302 firing order 15426378, the 5.0 H.O. uses the 351 firing order 13726548, easy as switching the wires around. i've done alot of research on these engines, just not much of the hands on mods due to budget.
due you have any recommended brands for the cam jdsgalops? any idea as to what lift i should look for with the duration and lobe seperation you suggested? thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
I really like Comp XE series rollers. Unfortuantely they are big $$$ and hard to find at a reasonable cost used. This is why I didn't recommend a particular cam. When working with a budget you don't always get the BEST part, you get the best part possible with the money you have. Since you have a little time before you need the cam just search the classifieds/ebay on a regular basis until you find something in the range suggested and in the $$$ amount you want to afford. When looking this far in advance and not jumping on the first thing available nets you some good parts at great deals, and my sig is a great example of that. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the advice jdsgalops, i'll be keeping my eyes open

·
Registered
180 Posts
Summit has the TF stage 1 cam hydralic roller for 139.00. I just put it in my LX this weekend.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how do you like the tfs cam? what's everyone think of this cam with stock gears? just looked it up in summit and from what jdsgolops said it would have to much duration with stock converter and gears. the price looks right though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
cjwanner2000 said:
how do you like the tfs cam? what's everyone think of this cam with stock gears? just looked it up in summit and from what jdsgolops said it would have to much duration with stock converter and gears. the price looks right though.
I love it, compared to what was in it. Im running 4.10 gears, but I am assuming the converter is stock. I can hold it to around 1600 RPM.

If you have stock gears the crane 444211 might be a better choice.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-444211&view=1024

not to bad on the price either.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that looks like it would be the way to go, if my brother can fit it in his budget. any idea if that would cause any problems with p/v clearance? that short of duration i'd figure it should be good. hopefully anyway:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
The tech at crane said no probs on the pv clearance. Take it for what it's worth. Your bro might have to look at valve springs though.

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
cj - I think jds counsel about duration/LSA is sound given your tranny/converter and rear end ratio. You start moving up in the duration as with the TFS unit, and you may not be happy with the bottom end that's available to try and spin the stock C4/converter through 3.08's.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'm trying to talk him into the crane cam that mopar1 recommended as i type this. the duration is 208/216 and the lift is .530/.530 with a 112 lobe seperation, right where jdsgalops recommended. man i love this forum:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
btw, i'll need a bronze dist. drive gear for this right?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts