Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, the A/C doesn't work on my mustang. It hasn't worked since I purchased the car and I was wondering what I needed to do to start troubleshooting it? Its getting kinda warm down here and warm+rain+no a/c = yuck.

Oh, some other information about the car. Its an 88 and when I purchased it in September it only had 17,000 miles on it. From what I've read this probably means all the seals have gone bad. I was just wondering if there was a way to determine if anything else was bad before replacing those.

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ive seen the retrofit kits fix the old seals. It just happened to be an R-12 Ford Probe. You put the bottles in the system. It has new oil with it to help reseal. It worked pretty good.
The right way is to recharge with R-12 and do leak detection. O-rings do dry up with out use. Replace them, or just replace all of them that you can find.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
You can definitely determine if the system is working fine. There is the Low Pressure Cycling Switch that sits on top of the accumulator. It has an electrical connection. Take the connector off, jumper the connector (paper clip works great), then fire up the car and turn on the A/C. Your compressor clutch should be engaged. Do not let it turn this way for more than 60 seconds.

Check your vents. If after 60 seconds the air is cold, then you have a bad switch. If the air is cool or such, you are low on refigerant. If the compressor is still not on, then you possibly have either a blown fuse or a bad WOT relay.

I'm pretty sure that you are going to find that you have leaked your refigerant through the o-rings. The below web page has most of the part numbers for the o-rings (Autozone).

Converting the 88 to R134A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts