Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car stinks really bad. I ran the codes and no wonder, I get code 81,82,84. No smog pump, no TAD/TAB, but egr intact. Code 84 - EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) Control Circuit Failure. Where do I start to fix this? Not sure what the EVR is anyhow...

THANKS!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
First off IMO I would just remove the whole EGR system and be done with it all. Save yourself the headaches..:salute:

The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum.

Before i get started Both 81 & 82 codes usually mean that Someone removed the solenoid control valves for the Thermactor Air system.:eek:

Code 81 – Secondary Air Injection Diverter Solenoid failure AM2. The solenoid valve located on the back side of the passenger side wheel well is not functional. Possible bad wiring, bad connections, missing or defective solenoid valve. Check the solenoid valve for +12 volts at the Red wire and look for the Lt Green/Black wire to switch from +12 volts to 1 volt or less. The computer controls the valve by providing a ground path on the LT Green/Black wire for the solenoid valve.

With the with the ignition on, look for 12 volts on the red wire on the solenoid connector. No 12 volts and you have wiring problems.:curses:

With the engine running, stick a safety pin in the LT Green/Black wire for the solenoid valve & ground it. That should turn the solenoid on and cause air to flow out the port that goes to the pipe connected to the cats. If it doesn't, the valve is bad. If it does cause the airflow to switch, the computer or wiring going to the computer is not signaling the solenoid valve to open.

Putting the computer into self test mode will cause the solenoid valve to toggle. If you listen carefully, you may hear it change states.

If you have catalytic converters, you need to fix this code. If not you can use a TAB and TAD eliminator.
Code 82 – Secondary Air Injection Diverter Solenoid failure AM1. Possible bad wiring, bad connections, missing or defective solenoid valve. Check the solenoid valve for +12 volts at the Red wire and look for the Red/White wire to switch from +12 volts to 1 volt or less. The computer controls the valve by providing a ground path on the Red/White wire for the solenoid valve

With the engine running, stick a safety pin in the Red/White wire for the solenoid valve & ground it. That should turn the solenoid on and cause air to flow out the port that goes to the pipe connected to the heads. If it doesn't, the valve is bad. If it does cause the airflow to switch, the computer or wiring going to the computer is not signaling the solenoid valve to open.

If you have catalytic converters, you need to fix this code. If not you can use a TAB and TAD eliminator.

Code 84 EGR Vacuum Regulator failure – Broken vacuum lines , no +12 volts, regulator coil open circuit. The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum. The solenoid coil should measure 20-70 Ohms resistance. The regulator has a vacuum feed on the bottom which draws from the intake manifold. The other vacuum line is regulated vacuum going to the EGR valve. One side of the EVR electrical circuit is +12 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side of the electrical circuit is the ground path and is controlled by the computer. The computer switches the ground on and off to control the regulator solenoid....

I really hope this helped you because 2 of my fingers just fell off :eeek: lol

- Anthony - :king:

Attachments

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Youre a wealth of knowledge, thx. I can disregard the 81 and82 as those solenoids are long gone. I know what the egr valve is, but what/where is this evr?

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, just found that the reason im getting the evr code is because its gone, unplugged, unhooked, gone. Now at this point should i just block off the egr valve and remove the rest of the related crapola?

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
85 Posts
yeah i would just buy the EGR delete spacer for like $20...

Also does it still have the diverter valve on it with the piping to the back of the head?if it is take all that crap out and and plug the head. Even though I doubt it does since the thermasto diverter solenoid is gone..i but just thought i would thow it in just in case

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah all the other stuff is gone too. Kind of a hack job. Egr delete plate for sure now. Thx for the info!

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got a spare EVR solenoid lying around???

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I'm having the same issue did you ever find a fix
he fixed it 12 years ago…

but none of those codes/ issues have anything to do with how the car smells.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts