Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a goofy wheel setup on my '91 GT that I am hoping can be resolved with hub centric rings.

The above photo is a Borbet Type A wheel and from what I have gathered, the Mustang has a OD of 63.3mm and the Borbet Type A rims I run have a center bore of 72.5mm (originally a BMW 5x120 application redrilled).

So far on ebay, I have found hub centric rings in:

ID 63.9mm x OD 72.6mm

Will these properly work for my application? Will it still be a little "loose" on the hub when everything is said and done?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a set of those on my coupe and loved them but I wouldn't run those if I were you. You have fractions of an inch of material left on the side of two (half) of your lugs. I don't see that being very safe.

Have you tried to torque a lug nut on yet to see if the wheel cracks?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I do recognize the problem with these wheels and this is how the car came equipped. These wheels have been in use since the early 90's on this car and so far nothing has happened yet (I don't like it either). So, for the time being, I am hoping that I can get the correct hub centric rings to band aid this situation until I figure out my suspension/5 lug conversion stuff.

-Eric

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow! I'm glad it has worked for you. Have you called the Tirerack? I've noticed that they offer hub rings with some of their packages...maybe they have some or can recommend a supplier for you. If not, do you know anyone that works at a machine shop? I would think someone could turn a few out for the cost of a few hours labor + material.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
We can sell you a set of rings size 72.6 - 63.4 at $15.00 but in looking at your wheels you may want to have these inspected by a professional before you continue to run them. I can't tell through these pictures alone if they are safe or not. Inserted wheels, if done incorrectly, can be dangerous. Give us a call at 1-888-459-4080 to place your order. Ask for p.c. # 81960

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,111 Posts
dumb (fastsvo) & dumber (Discount Tire Direct)

there's cheap and then there's just plain f**ken stupid... you can't be seriously running or thinking of running those wheels!?!?!? :blam:

HOWEVER what's even worse is that Discount Tire Direct actually didn't see anything wrong with this and found a way to make a buck :blam: :blam:

:barf:

We can sell you a set of rings size 72.6 - 63.4 at $15.00. Give us a call at 1-888-459-4080 to place your order. Ask for p.c. # 81960

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the situation on the rims is not the best, but what about getting those empty lug nut holes welded in?

-Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts