Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a friend of mine are going to be going to the track soon and race each other for bragging rights his is a auto everything stock but exhaust k&n and maf and he does not know how to drive it he just leaves it in D and when he takes off he just floors it My 86 has 3.55 gears k&n 5 speed king cobra clutch e-303 65mm tb and custom intake and the usual timing and silencer removed what are some fairly cheap things that I can do to make sure that I will win I was thinking that he will be on street tires and I would run slicks and drive it like I stole it do you think this is possible?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have nitrous but with the custom intake the fp sensor will not fit. should I just put the stock one on and race him with the nitrous?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a ram air 00, you will not take him what with you have. THese cars are fast... my ran 12.20;'s with a gear and tires and Borla....you have an 86?? forget it... if you have a big shot of gas... maybe.. like 175 or bigger and on tires.... good luck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have street raced a 200X Camaro ss I don't know what he has doen to it and I had him up to 65 70ish before he started to catch and pass me I have rode in his car before and his car does not seem all that fast had to tell but as soon as it hits 40 it seems to die down until about 60 or so and my nitrous is adjustable up tp 150hp I didnt think that they were all that fast gears tires and borla 12.20s was it a 6 speed or auto slicks or d/r s sounds like I will have to hook up the 150 for him. so with the 150 i will have around 300 rwhp and i need that much to beat a pretty much stock ram air?

·
Registered
110 Posts
they have 300 rear wheel hp!! trust me... I had a 6 speed.. I know how to drive the car.... The ls1 is designed to build power up top... I had 4.10's with et streets... the rear ends are junk.I would leave on tires and on the bottle... not in stages... just gas the piss out of it out of the hole! leave hard, and dont miss a shift...

·
Registered
52 Posts
TwilightBlue5.0 said:
I had a ram air 00, you will not take him what with you have. THese cars are fast... my ran 12.20;'s with a gear and tires and Borla....you have an 86?? forget it... if you have a big shot of gas... maybe.. like 175 or bigger and on tires.... good luck.
wow!:eek: That's hard to believe. What was your 60'? and at what mph?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Silver86, Do you still have the stock heads on that bad boy?
Use the NOS, and on race day strip the car, pull the passenger seat, spare tire and whatever crap you have in it.
If you have the stock heads I think you'll be in trouble.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I dont think you stand a chance. I got beat by my buddies 2000 and I have heads, cam, intake, and all the other bolt ons with 3.73s. He had headers, exhaust, throttle body and mass air meter.

You can probably hang with them to about 60mph are so but believe me he will be comming hard on the other end.

About you riding in his car and saying it wasnt all that fast. They all feel slow to me when I drive them but the seat of the pants can decieve (sp?) you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would hate to agree, but they are right those ls1 motors are pretty powerful for stock, I think they come with aluminum heads and block? and on the Ls1 it has an Ls6 intake manifold. Those guys can hide the nitrous jets pretty well too,(Inside air intake tube) The only way they beat me in a street race was by using nitrous even though they said it was all motor. Its ok though, Im packing a different combo, I dont care what car it is anymore.

You wont win with what you have, you need to remove the PS,AC,SP, and anything else that is weighing you down,

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well you are correct they come w/Aluminum heads and blocks. My 01 WS6 6spd so far runs a best of [email protected] I haven't had too much time perfecting the launching w/this thing considering my 60fts are in the 2.2-2.1 range. This car is plenty capable of 12's on drag radials and a better driver(or me w/more practice).
Since he is in an auto he will be able to get a good jump if he knows what he is doing. I say spray the hell out of you car and you might be able to get him. Just hope he can't see the lights and you get a jump on him.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You're not going to pull him man. I had a '00 Formula, optional 3.23 gears which is the same that the '02 WS6 has. When it was all stock, having oil contamination problems through the PCV causing the computer to pull 4 degrees of timing, and about 100 pounds of stereo stuff in the hatch, I was walking bolt-on 5-speed Mustangs from a roll. That's with an automatic just putting it in "D" and flooring it.

LS1's don't "feel" fast but they are. If you want to have some kind of edge on the guy run him from 40mph. Automatic LS1's are dogs, and I mean DOGS, from the bottom of second gear. Watch out around 65 though because he'll start pulling again. Auto LS1's with 3.23 gears will be running about 85 mph at 5,900 in second gear...so he'll pull hard all the way up to "unsafe" speeds. really though I'd wait until you have the N2O installed. I'd still put my money on the WS6 though. The '02 cars dyno at easily 310rwhp. With a Yank converter with a 2.5 STR and tires he could be turning mid to low 12's and look and sound stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts