Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to launch an AOD.
I was just footbraking it at about 1500 rpms and getting a 2.22 60 ft on street tires. I just ordered nitto drag radials but i am not sure how to launch it with them

·
Registered
75 Posts
i did the same thing when i had street tires, but now i have nittos and my car seems a little better with foot braking just off idle around 1200 rpms.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Depends alot on tires and stall of the converter.
when i ran the stock converter with sticky tires i had to keep air pressure up in the mid 20's range so they would spin a few feet to help rev the motor, that was leaving from 1200 and flashing converter.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I leave at about 1500 and flash the converter. My stall is around 3500rpm using the footbrake.

With 26" tall et drags I have gone 1.66 in the 60'

It may have gone even quicker my my rev limiter was too low.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Also depends on what kind of racing you're doing. If you're looking for ultimate 60' and have the torque down low to flash the converter, then bringing up to around 1500 then flashing the converter would be best. If you are bracket racing, its best to bring it up on the foot brake as far as you can without pushing through the tires or spinning the back tires, this will result in the most consistent numbers and the best reaction times.
It really depends on the combo as well. Each car will be different. My combo for example likes to be brought up to around 1800 rpms, then flash the converter from there. It'll hit somewhere around 3200 on the flash, or 2500 on the footbrake. When I use the nitrous, I bring it up to 1800ish or so, then stab the throttle on launch, nitrous is activated by microswitch and the car cuts a 1.45 sixty foot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts