Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a good '69 351W on the stand for about 8 months... was gonna freshen up or stroke my stock 302 in my F100 - jus not the best motor to push a 5000# truck down the road. So... I got the 351W block/crank and was jus gonna do a mild 351W street build with alu heads. Then I kept thinking back on my '74 Torino Gran Sport with the 460 and thought that may be an option... but then I got the motor mounts and a new BB C6 and stiffer front springs to tend with.

So... I thought, hey, what about one of those bastard Clevor engines... don't see those around alot and with a bit of altering and a decent intake... could be a nice little build. Thinking on it... I remember that I have the shorter 9.48" deck height plus I will need the correct eyebrow(s) on my pistons to deal with the Cleveland valve angles. Not sure what piston options are available for this... I think I read Diamond has lotsa choices for early Windsor blocks running diff heads.

Then I got to thinking... would I better getting a aftermarket cast steel crank with smaller journals to help with oil temps and better oiling along with some decent aftermarket rods to fit it. Build and balance the bottom-end once with good stuff so I don't have to tear into it again if something with the stock crank/rods does not jive? Any thoughts on this? I know lotsa guys go with 408 stroker kits for the 351W block, but I think with the right cam and some Aussie closed-chamber 2V/351C heads from Aus Ford mildly cleaned up and port matched... this would be a reliable driver with some gusto.

Any tech tips/recommendations are greatly accepted!

Many thanks!
Nate

P.S.
I also have the small block factory C6 and 9" rear that jus needs a gear change to 3:71'ish gears... so no need for any kinda tranny swap costs.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
my advice, forget the clevor build, at least as far as the heads go. better would be to stroke the 351w out to 393ci, that way you can use 351w rods and 302 pistons. if you use a crank that has the 351c mains, and the proper bearing spacers to reduce the 351w mains to use the 351c journals, you can reduce the internal friction in the motor. it does take particular attention to detail assembling the bottom end with the spacers as the 351w does have a tendency to spin the number two main bearing when given the chance.

i would top a 393ci windsor with something like world sr, or afr205 heads, probably in aluminum to save weight. add in a cam that works in the 1500-6000 rpm range, and top the engine with a weiand stealth or performer rpm intake and a 750cfm carb.

that combination should make an easy 400hp, and have a torque curve flatter than kansas right where you need it most.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I got it all sorted out now. Talked to T Meyer, Inc. He's gonna fix me up with my pistons. I just want something different... for every 10 that dislike the Clevor, there are a few that praise it. I am positive I can get the little Aussie heads to make the powerband I need for my application. Learn a few things in the process.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Sounds like a fun build! And T. Meyer is a great source for Cleveland and Clevor parts. I personally would use the 4V heads for any Cleveland-headed build bigger than 302 cubes, but I remember having an 80 F-250 with the 400 and that engine worked well. Lots of torque.

Let us know how it goes! :)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Thanks... I got it all sorted out now. Talked to T Meyer, Inc. He's gonna fix me up with my pistons. I just want something different... for every 10 that dislike the Clevor, there are a few that praise it. I am positive I can get the little Aussie heads to make the powerband I need for my application. Learn a few things in the process.
back in the day when the clevor build was first popular, i loved it. you could take the smaller 2v heads, drop them on the nicely built 289/302, and pick up 40hp easily. even today i still like the idea, but when the cost of machining the cleveland heads to work with the windsor block, and the need to either purchase a specific intake, or buy/build adapters for the intake, you are going to have more in the combination to make the same power that just bolting on a complete set of aftermarket heads from most manufacturers make out of the box.

Sounds like a fun build! And T. Meyer is a great source for Cleveland and Clevor parts. I personally would use the 4V heads for any Cleveland-headed build bigger than 302 cubes, but I remember having an 80 F-250 with the 400 and that engine worked well. Lots of torque.

Let us know how it goes! :)
the 4v heads were in fact designed to go on a larger engine based on the 400. unfortunately the 400 came along at a time when emission standards were being tightened up, and ford had the 429 in large cars, and the 390 in the trucks, both of which were slightly more popular than the strangled 400 was. drop the 4v heads on a 400, and fix the port mismatch to prevent vacuum leaks, and the 400 will scream like a 351c on steroids.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, was actually considering a seasoned 400 build... thing is... ya have to source a BB C6 or try and find one of the not-often-seen 400/FMX blocks. Either that or spend cash on a adapter kit to reuse my SB C6 I already have.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either way I end up going... I will have a set of the little Aussie 2V heads. Even if I spend a little cash on them to get them flowing correctly... they seem popular and shouldn't be a problem selling them. I just think having a different little small block with some higher compression heads would be fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Either way I end up going... I will have a set of the little Aussie 2V heads. Even if I spend a little cash on them to get them flowing correctly... they seem popular and shouldn't be a problem selling them. I just think having a different little small block with some higher compression heads would be fun to drive.
if you have the aussie 302c heads, they are good ones to use on a clevor conversion. granted you still have to do the machine work on them, and you still have to adapt the intake on them, but they are much better than the US 2v heads due to the closed chamber design. that changes things imo. the 302c head is worth the effort.

·
Registered
954 Posts
451Clevor

I love the clevor stuff, particularly the big ci 4v clevors, want to do another 451Clevor (4.155"x4.155") square deal this summer with the 4V heads.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
they are fun builds. about all you have to do is drill the deck. for most cams you will have enough valve clearance you can run a Windsor piston. at least that has been when I have seen. edelbrock makes a couple of dual plane intakes that you don't even have to mess with the coolant crossover in front. although tapping the back of the heads for crossovers isn't a bad idea. a lot less of a PITA than this project.

·
Registered
954 Posts
they are fun builds.
yup!, what we really need is more deck hieght 9.700"+ min for better pistons and rod ratios. IMO think a excellent/safe combo would be a 451ci, 4.155"x4.155" square deal as it dont maxx out the w block with stroke or bore but still gives a extra 100ci.

heres a neat big ci FPS 461Clevor build...
link... RP_0512

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
at that point i think i would rather move to something in a 5" bore space that the only thing even close to being a cleveland would be the deck height. :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
imo, whats been disappointing is that with all the aftermarket blocks out now/coming out now, more thought was not put into hobbyist Budget/Affordable ($2000) taller deck Wind & Clev blocks for all the big stroker 4.100"/4.170"/4.250"+ size cranks out now. its retarded that some companies thought to make 8.7"deck blocks but did not have the foresight to Also make a 9.7"deck w version? :hammer:.

would of also been nice if companys (P&S/Arrow/Tmeyer/MME) or others that got into making aftermarket 335 series blocks would of put more effort/setup into making a updated 400 C block version as clev guys have Always needed more deck height for an extra 100" ci.

all the W&C guys have been able to do is use thick copper shim gaskets to get more deck height or get expensive high end tall deck blocks from companys like dart, lsm, bennet or others...

Billet 351 Blocks Are Here! | Bennett Racing Engines

LSM Billet Blocks in stock

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts