Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any sites where I can get some info on how to install a distibutor? I just bought a MSD ready to run distibutor (well waiting for it to arrive) and need a little help since I have never done this before.

:eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
If this is a carb dist. or fuel injected it's the same. If you look at the distributor cap that's on the old dist. you'll see a #1. Just turn your crank bolt with a 15/16 socket till you have the rotor pointing at that #1 on the cap. If you look at your harmonic balancer it should be at "0" on your timing pointer. Then just simply remove the hold down bolt(1/2") and pull the old dist. out.
Put the new dist. in the exact same way. Keep in mind that your gear on the bottom of your dist. is angle cut to mesh with the cam, so it will turn the rotor clockwise as you slide it in. If the dist. doesn't seat all the way down don't worry. Thats because the dist. isn't lined up with the oil pump drive shaft yet. If you tap the engine over with the key it will fall right in line. After that set the timing with a timing light and your done. If you don't know how to set the timing you probably shouldn't be changing your distributor.

·
Formerly known as 302Quest
2,809 Posts
i wouldn't bump the motor over with the key..
do it the right way and walk it over by hand
unless your feeling lucky with your dist gear..
~J

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, someone just told me to mark where the rotor is and set it in the same way, but I want to make sure I do it the right way in case this guy is just talking out his A$$..

·
Formerly known as 302Quest
2,809 Posts
bwahaha, your kidding right?
if you can screw in a sparkplug you can install a distributor
i had 0 experience last month when i tore apart my 350 and reassembled the whole top end..
if the dist is taken out with the rotating assembly at TDC and reinserted at TDC w/o the oil pump shaft being turned
and all the proper markings made.. it slips in easier than a teenager with a fake ID into a backstreet club..
like i said before don't bump the engine over with the key, take the cap off and use the rotor to walk the gear to the next tooth, you'll see and feel it drop all the way onto the oil pup shaft and cam sprocket..
~J

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
JOEE said:
Not busting ur balls but get help doing the change,ur in over ur head
Dont listen to this guy hes and idiot... read some of his posts. All 11 are crap about how good Indy Mustang is and how he ran a 9 something with his car and a 357. Ive yet to see a time slip or dyno sheets. Didnt mean to offend you Jim... i mean Joe. :rolleyes:

SVT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts