Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 89 GT for sale that supposedly had a 93 cobra engine and tranny swapped in. Now aside from the obvious cobra intake manifold, what else can i look for to make sure it is a cobra engine and not just a 5.0 with a cobra intake mani? Thanks

-ALLAN

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Look at the waterpump. The Cobra has a VERY SMALL waterpump pulley. They had a Stock underdrive pulleys system but reduced the diameter of the waterpump so that it would flow the same water. *MOST* People who claim to have a 93 cobra motor complete out of a 93 cobra, forget about the pulley differences.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
cobra T5

bleeatch, an easy way to tell if the T5 is a real 93 cobra version is to look at the tag on the side of the case. If it reads 1352-218 it is authentic. Mark

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
As far as I know, all the t-5's had the 1352-218 . All that number denotes is the Warner gear ID number. The four cylinders run a 1352-209.

On most engines, the VIN number is stamped on the drivers side of the block in the rear, below the cylinder head. The problem is that they only use the first 2 digits and the last 6 numbers, of which won't have the D which denotes a Cobra.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Another quick way is to look and see if the valve covers are the black steel stamped covers. Look at the front of the heads and see if there are 3 ribs in the front of it (III) like that. II means E7, III means GT40 heads, and IIII means GT40P heads. You could also pull off a valve cover and look to see if they have the crane 1.7 RR's A lot of this could have been changed though. If it doesn't have the GT40 heads and cobra intake who cares what it is than. The shortblock is junk compared to the '92 down cars.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Borg Warner serial numbers

budda, the first four digits (1352) are the same for all WC T5s. (85-present) The application digits are the last three off the part number. The 209 in your example is 92-93 2.3 liter four cylinder T5. The 218 in my example is 93 cobra. All seven digits together are the Borg Warner serial number. Mark

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Let's see.

Cobra Intake. Check the Intake heater tube. It's the black tube that runs over the lower intake manifold to the heater core. On stock normal 5.0's there is a little nipple for the hose that runs coolant to the EGR spacer. On '93 Cobra, they have an entirely new heater hose that doesn't have this nipple

65mm TB

Blue topped 24# injectors

Black stamped valve covers

1.7 roller rockers

BLACK oil pan (stating hyper pistons)

GT-40 heads

Crappy ass cam (same found in 91-93 cougars and t-birds)

Smaller water pump pulley

Frankly i don't see what's so special about a real '93 CObra engine. I mean yeah big deal it was really in a Cobra, but it isn't that special. It's easily reproduced and the aftermarket can make an even better engine easily.

Besides seems like you toss some GT-40 heads and a Cobra intake on a 5.0 and all the sudden you have a "93 cobra motor"

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Re: Borg Warner serial numbers

mgerman93 said:
budda, the first four digits (1352) are the same for all WC T5s. (85-present) The application digits are the last three off the part number. The 209 in your example is 92-93 2.3 liter four cylinder T5. The 218 in my example is 93 cobra. All seven digits together are the Borg Warner serial number. Mark
Ya, that's basically what I said in my previous post. ;) My point is that the 218 is not a Cobra specific transmission (all 93 5.0 carried that part#, therefore isn't a good way to verify it's indeed a Cobra tranny.

I agree with the above post in regards to the valve covers. If it has the black stamped covers on it, more than likely it's a Cobra motor. I doubt anyone would go out of there way to find these covers to make a look-a-like engine......but you never know.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how cow you guys respond quick!! Thanks for the help, ill be sure to check out this engine

·
Registered
225 Posts
Even if it's not a "Cobra" engine, go for it anyway. If it is really an '89, hopefully it just has the stock shortblock w/ heads, intake & cam so you don't have the crappy hyperutectic pistons. The '89 has the best of both worlds...it has forged pistons, mass air, and no airbag (ie...tilt-wheel). I've only ever owned '89's (& the two in my sig aren't the only ones), and I'll have it no other way (unless my wife decides to buy me an '05 for my B-day!).

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

budda, The 218 is unique only to the 93 cobra period. The standard 93 GT and LX 5.0 is a 208. They are NOT the same.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
92's had a 208, 91's -207, 90'-199, 89' -194, 87' and 88'-141. I'm going to have to send this link over to the guys at SCOA. One of us is wrong, and I'm curious to see who is.....probably me:D .The Cobra is supposed to have a HD version of the T-5 with upgraded bearings, phosphate coated gears, and a HD driveshaft yoke. I hear what your saying and it's putting some doubt in my mind, so I'll ask those guys and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Borg Warner T5 application chart

buddha, Here's Borg Warner's T5 application chart courtesy of D&D Performance in the May 97 Superford pgs 38 & 39. I had to take a digital pic so the quality isn't great, but it's readable. Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts