Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am focusing on getting my 99 Cobra to hook. I will be putting in a solid axle rear end in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if there is anything else that you guys would recommend to get the car to hook. Will I benefit much from a "Drag Launch Kit"? What else should I get for the car to get better traction? Thank you.

Ivan
www.HypnoticPerformance.com

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hook as with slicks or with drag radials?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the rear end??? Was it off of a GT or did you buy it new?

·
Registered
468 Posts
91Steed said:
On the street with Nitto DR's. Thank you.

Ivan
I do a nice second gear burnout with about 15 psi in the nittos. Your gonna have to play around with your launch rpm to find the best rpm to launch at. It really depends on the track but I'll usually start out at 2800-3000 and go from there. practice makes perfect.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
It really depends upon how serious you wish to get.

1.7 ft times on Nitto's should be quite doable with practice and a few well-chosen mods. I would...

Run 4.30 gear or better
Remove the front swaybar
Get a decent set of upper/lower control arms
Put the Nitto's down around 15 psi and do a good burnout
Launch around 5500 rpm

I'd wait on springs, shocks, struts, etc until you see if you can accomplish your goals with the above.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The DOHC's are very finicky when trying to get any kind of launch out of them. A lot of practice is in order with these cars. You've got to recognize and 'feel' the tendancies that your car has.

The worst mistake that I initially made when trying to drag race on the street, or at the track, was to depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, bring the revs up to where I wanted, and then let the clutch go when the tree was on the last amber or someone was flagging us off on the street. Instant tire smoke or a LOT of tire spinning. First, I would get excited and would tend to 'give it a little more rpm' just to be sure. More often than not the little extra rpm was way too much. Second, depressing the clutch all the way to the floor and dumping it does nothing but shock the rear tires resulting in uncontrollable spin.

Practice this:

Depress the clutch all the way to the floor and then, very slowly, let the clutch out until the car begins to try to creep forward. Good, now depress the clutch (probably a half-inch or so) just enough to keep the car from engaging the transmission. This will be your clutch release point instead of 'against the floor.' It will vary from car to car but the clutch pedal position will probably only be about half way down. Bring the revs up to where you want it and then let her go. This method has really helped me. Again, you need to practice this and use different rpm launches to see what your car will handle without excessive tire spin. Also, if you race at the track the track conditions will dictate how much rpm you can use. On the street its hard to get much traction with any tire. Practice this launch procedure with your clutch and it'll help - hehe!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JohnnyReb said:

Depress the clutch all the way to the floor and then, very slowly, let the clutch out until the car begins to try to creep forward. Good, now depress the clutch (probably a half-inch or so) just enough to keep the car from engaging the transmission. This will be your clutch release point instead of 'against the floor.' It will vary from car to car but the clutch pedal position will probably only be about half way down. Bring the revs up to where you want it and then let her go.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

That is the method I am currently doing, but once I shift to secone the tail starts to go every which way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob Cosby said:
It really depends upon how serious you wish to get.

1.7 ft times on Nitto's should be quite doable with practice and a few well-chosen mods. I would...

Run 4.30 gear or better
Remove the front swaybar
Get a decent set of upper/lower control arms
Put the Nitto's down around 15 psi and do a good burnout
Launch around 5500 rpm

I'd wait on springs, shocks, struts, etc until you see if you can accomplish your goals with the above.

Good luck to you.

Well the car is only raced on the weekend and track days. We are looking to get to Low 11's High 10's. Would you recommend V6 Springs for the front of the car? What kind of shocks and struts should I be looking into? Lakewood, koni, Tockio?

Thanks for the help.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have the Tokico 5 way Drag Struts and they are perfect for a street/strip car. I have QA-1s in the rear but they don't seem to be very critical. HPM double adjustable uppers and Megabite Jrs lowers, but the Heim joint uppers is pretty darn noisy on the street. V6 springs in the front.

Here is how it works on a 100 shot....
http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen1130launch.jpg

Why are you going to use drag radials on a "low 11, high 10" car? What kind of power adder do you have? I change all four wheels every weekend, twice. Light wheels and ET Fronts/ET Drags will make the job a lot easier.

But you need to put some good axles in that live axle, and weld the axle tubes in.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe Lynch said:
I have the Tokico 5 way Drag Struts and they are perfect for a street/strip car. I have QA-1s in the rear but they don't seem to be very critical. HPM double adjustable uppers and Megabite Jrs lowers, but the Heim joint uppers is pretty darn noisy on the street. V6 springs in the front.

Here is how it works on a 100 shot....
http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen1130launch.jpg

Why are you going to use drag radials on a "low 11, high 10" car? What kind of power adder do you have? I change all four wheels every weekend, twice. Light wheels and ET Fronts/ET Drags will make the job a lot easier.

But you need to put some good axles in that live axle, and weld the axle tubes in.

Joe Lynch
I've been looking around for some V6 Spring but have not had any luck on finding any yet. As for the Power adder it will be a Supercharger and Nitrous. The reason for the Nittos is because the car is going be driven daily and only raced on weekend so I am looking for something that I wont have to keep changing on the weekends, but I will definatley go with slicks on track days. What kind of axles do you recommend?

P.S.

Damn I love the picture of your car:joy:

Thank you.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ivan--Yep, I post that pic every chance I get. I am sure some people are getting sick of it. It was the last run on the last TnT night at our local drag strip.

People have had good luck with most of the available aftermarket axles. I have Superior 31 spline and a Detroit Locker along with a Superior steel cap for the left side bearing. I made 105 runs in 2002 with no problems with this setup, but only the last 20 passes were on the juice.

The most likely spot for you to have trouble after the axles is with the stock Traction-Lok differential. The Locker is indestructible but noisy and rough on the street. I love it. My wife doesn't. Many people have had good luck with an Eaton 31 spline. That would be my next choice. If you stick with drag radials, the Eaton will probably be fine for a long time.

Joe Lynch

N

·
0 Posts
I would agree that the Eaton is the way to go. I have one in my 87 which regularly 60 fts 1.50-1.53 and have no problems so far with about 40 passes on it.

Dave

N

·
0 Posts
I would agree that the Eaton is the way to go. I have one in my 87 which regularly 60 fts 1.50-1.53 on 28x9" slicks and have no problems so far with about 40 passes on it.

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joe Lynch said:
I have Superior 31 spline and a Detroit Locker along with a Superior steel cap for the left side bearing.
Hey Joe,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did everything set you back? Also do you know where I can purchase these parts? Is it only from the superior website? Or how about the Eaton axles, know where I can get them as well? I have gone there but just want to know if there is anywhere else so I can shop around. Thanks.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Try Reider Racing or Mustang 5.0 (PM Mustang Michael). I can't remember how much it cost. Seems I can only remember the cost of the parts that didn't work out, LOL.

I had an IRS in the car for 2-1/2 years and life has been good since swapping to the built live axle.

Joe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well got the Solid axle in this weekend. It is Awesome:eek: Handing is not as good in turns but that is it. Tried launchid it but the tires were spinning like crazy (Pirelli Winter tires). Let some air out later on that night and tried it again, Car hits hard off of the line but have to baby the clutch or else the wheels will spin like crazy, same thing for second gear. Every hard shift the car will jerk as soon as engaged. Thank you.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ivan--Glad you got it done. I sat by the phone all weekend waiting for you to call for help, LOL. You will love the live axle. But you will have to change some other stuff to make it work really, really well. Let me know if I can help.

Joe Lynch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts