Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have the tank supported by a piece of wood on a jack, and the tank support straps undone & free from the tank. my problem is that the filler pipe wont come loose from the body/fill area. i went by the instructions here at the corral for fuel pump installation. i removed the screws that it said to remove: (3) inside the fill area that go around the fill tube end, and 4 on the inside back plastic panel behind the fill area(backside, underneath)........has anyone just dropped the tank on the drivers side and slid the tank out on an angle leaving the fill pipe in its current place? can this be done? if not how do i get my fill pipe out of its current location?
thanx (its a 93 gt)

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
thats how i have always done it.
it may tear that seal tho, they like to stick to the pipe...
just drop it at a steep angle drivers side down, and then slide her off!
if it doesnt tear, throw some vasaline on it for the reinstall.
if it does tear, REPLACE IT! do not leave it thinkin it will be ok, it will leak all over your tailpipe....

ask 91GT about that ;)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, so you always just left the filler pipe in its current location & never bothered trying to uninstall it right? i got a new fill tube grommit to be on the safe side incase it did rip so ill be fine.......THANX alot for the info man!!!

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
the new seal is a major PITA to install, as it looks like its about 50% too big, but it does fit! so use it. just twist it in there, and try not to squeeze it too far and drop it in the tank ;)

not speaking from experience either :lol:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe, thanx again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
fuel filler tube gasket

I've removed a few gas tanks in Mustangs I've owned throughout the years. In my 91 GT I tore the filler tube gasket, where did you guys get yours? From the dealership? I wouldn't think it would be expensive, I just haven't ordered it yet (but I did notice fuel leaking from the tank, thankfully I don't have tailpipes right now!):D

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, you get them from the dealership. i paid $3.81 for mine. the part # is F7CZ6A892AA. mine tore when i removed the filler tube, i was glad i bought a new one before attempting my fuel pump swap!

·
Registered
16 Posts
fuel filler tube gasket

Thanks for the help with the filler gasket #! I'll go order one tommorrow, tired of having to fill up the tank only 3/4 (anything more and it leaks!) :idunno: :rolleyes: :cool: :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts