Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 79 zephyr wagon this week and I was wondering what I need to switch the rear out to a 8.8.

I've got a 5.0 86' coupe mustang for a donor as far as the parts are concerned, I've got lower granetelli adj. control arms and ford's heavy duty uppers.

I'm also putting the soon to be carbed motor from the mustang(this one is a pooch)to increase the power a little bit. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Dale

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
whats wrong with the 86 coupe?? do you have any idea how hard to find 86 5.0 coupes are?? if it's not wrecked or rusted beyond repair, please don't part it!!!! Is it an ssp coupe?? what does the speedo say??

I can't help with your conversion much, other than to say if the zepher is the same undercarriage as a 79 fox, it will bolt right up, may have to mess with the brake lines, but in mustangs, it's a plug and play. the 8.8 uses all the same connection points as a 7.5

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I do know how hard it is to get good 85-86 stangs I've had two. This one I smashed into a S-10 @ 60mph. I had a 347 getting built for it, now I'm playing with a wagon for fun till I find another stang.
South Dakota has nothing for Fords, everyone who has one thinks its as valuable as 60's nascar, or old lady's own'em, or ****** who just don't care and let them rust.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
if it's not an overdrive, you've likely got a big bell c4 on it.

crawl under and look at it, then compare with an online c4 picture

·
USAF retired
9,354 Posts
As mentioned the brake line will have to be sued fromt he 7.5 or else reroute it to use the 8.8 lines. You have either a c4 or C5. If you want to stay auto and AOD will fit you may need to get longer speedo cable from later model car with AOD.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
My first car was a Zephyr wagon! I used to dream about dropping a 302 in it...then I bought a '92lx and lost all interest. Send pics when it's done!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I built a 78 Fairmont wagon with an 88 HO motor, T5, and turbocoupe 8.8 (with rear discs) ... it was a lot of fun. Man, I had everything on that car; 4-wheel coilovers, 73mm brakes up front, a/c, etc ... fun car 'til I got bored with it.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It wasn't pretty, but it was pretty quick for what it was, a mostly junkyard combination... lol

stock motor:

after I got done with it lol:

interior:

exterior:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Wagons are cool.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ive done this swap (see my signature). Installing an 8.8" Mustang rear into your Zephyr is a bolt in to your stock or Mustang type rear control arms. For your efforts I hope you are getting a decent ratio. Stock 5.0L Mustangs came with 3.08 (T5) or 3.27 (AOD) ratio. Or you can install aftermarket gears with 3.55 or 3.73 ratio for better launch. Another optio is a TBird Turbo Coupe 8.8 rear that came stock with 3.55s and disc brakes but the housing is 3/4" wider per side so you may have tire clearance issues and the disc setup wll mean more work and $$ to make it play.

As mentioned previosly the brake lines on the Mustang 8.8 are arrainged a bit different than on your stock 7.5. The flex hose mounts closer to the axle center on the 8.8 - this is to clear the passenger side exhaust pipe. I cant remember but I think you may need to extend the hard brake line that runs thru the interior and exists under the back seat where it exits under the car a bit to reach the 8.8s flex hose. Your stock E brake cables will attach right up to the 8.8 as will your stock driveshaft.

You may want to check out:

http://groups.msn.com/FAIRMONT302/scratchpad.msnw

Paul78Zephyr

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help and pics, I'm getting started on the wagon. If anyone out there knows if the mustang tranny crossmember with work on the zephyr(for dual exhaust), let me know.

Thanks again

·
USAF retired
9,354 Posts
dfoosking1 said:
Thanks for all the help and pics, I'm getting started on the wagon. If anyone out there knows if the mustang tranny crossmember with work on the zephyr(for dual exhaust), let me know.

Thanks again
Yes it does. It's a FOX platform so most everything that works on a mustang will work on yours. I've got Mach1 struts, bullitt front springs, 94 mustang brakes, and so on underneath my wagon. It's a blast to drive and so nondescript looking no one ever gives it a second look.:evil: :D

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
For fox-chassis cars 1978-1982, you'll have to trim off the side tubes off the actual crossmember itself in order to get the double-hump crossmember to work. This is very easy and can be done with a hacksaw.

Chris

·
USAF retired
9,354 Posts
Coupester said:
For fox-chassis cars 1978-1982, you'll have to trim off the side tubes off the actual crossmember itself in order to get the double-hump crossmember to work. This is very easy and can be done with a hacksaw.
Chris
Is the channel where the X-member fits narrower on these cars??

·
Registered
563 Posts
On the 82 and older cars it is....

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Yup...There was two different crossmembers used. You can break the tack welds on the mounting bracket and move them. Or get the BFS ( related to the BFM :lol: ) and cut the side tunes. The actual year of the swap over is different for some cars.

I been abusing my 7.5 rear for almost 4 years now. I run a full manual valvebody in the AOD and it chirps the 1/2 and 2/3 shifts. I've got a stock Auburn diff, and 3.73 gears in it. I have an 8.8 waiting to swap in, been beside the shed for a few winters now and might need a brake job due to exposure.

For the brake lines, you can run either setup. If you keep the stock routing you need to bend the tab the brakeline is mounted to (located next to the right side muffler).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts