Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently went downtown chicago the other night and the traffic was horrible (go figure) and sitting in traffic i noticed my temp gauge sky rocketed. i had the stock fan in as well and i know that doest work well with a modified motor. i want to know the best way to make the temp stay down in stop and go traffic. i have a ford racing aluminum radiator a stock water pump with fresh gaskets all around and i just recently got a electric proform 15" fan from my buddy for free. i want to know if the electric fan would be enough to keep it cool. i also have a little 6" fan too that i have laying around that i could slap on to. NEED SOME HELP!

·
Registered
35,901 Posts
Assuming the radiator is doing it's job, there's no reason the stock fan/clutch shouldn't keep the car cool. Perhaps the clutch is shot. I'd diagnose that first. The clutch is thermally activated -- that is, when the engine is hot, the clutch should lock up and spin the fan at engine speed. When the engine is cold, the clutch should freewheel more or less. So, in the morning before you've driven the car, pop the hood and try turning the fan with your hand. It should spin without much effort. Crank it up and drive it long enough to get everything fully up to temp (a good 20 minutes or so). Stop the engine, pop the hood and try to spin the fan. It should be very hard to turn by hand when the motor is hot. The thermal 'fluid' in the clutch becomes stiff just above t'stat temp. So, ideally, as you're cruising down the road at speed and there is enough air flow across the rad to keep the car cool, the clutch is more or less in 'free wheel' mode -- helps the engine remain quieter and uses less fuel.

This has been covered many times before in the threads. If you wanna go electric the usual suspects are used Lincoln MkViii, Taurus 3.8L v6, dual Ford Contour or SN95 Mustang electric fans, or the dual Spal 11" shrouded set up. All will move a ton of air. The $69 16" 'speed shop specials' won't move nearly enough. You'll need a decent control system for the fan(s) and if your fox has the stock 65A alternator, you'll need to step it up to a 130A unit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There are quite a few hot rod guys that have stumbled into a better electric fan set up. The electric fan for the Chevy HHR is a large fan and shroud with a thin profile that draws low enough amperage to be safely controlled by the 25 amp after market controllers but still pulls a ton of air. I switched to it and love it and have had zero issues. The shroud covers nearly all the radiator and the controller works flawlessly. I got the fan and controller from Rockauto for just over $100.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
There are quite a few hot rod guys that have stumbled into a better electric fan set up. The electric fan for the Chevy HHR is a large fan and shroud with a thin profile that draws low enough amperage to be safely controlled by the 25 amp after market controllers but still pulls a ton of air. I switched to it and love it and have had zero issues. The shroud covers nearly all the radiator and the controller works flawlessly. I got the fan and controller from Rockauto for just over $100.
Filing this one away for future reference... Do you know what model year you looked up on Rock Auto? And was it the turbo or non-turbo model?

Searching a bit more, this guy used a 2007 base model. He says the fan is 3-3/4" deep, which was going to be my next question.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
so i recently went downtown chicago the other night and the traffic was horrible (go figure) and sitting in traffic i noticed my temp gauge sky rocketed. i had the stock fan in as well and i know that doest work well with a modified motor. i want to know the best way to make the temp stay down in stop and go traffic. i have a ford racing aluminum radiator a stock water pump with fresh gaskets all around and i just recently got a electric proform 15" fan from my buddy for free. i want to know if the electric fan would be enough to keep it cool. i also have a little 6" fan too that i have laying around that i could slap on to. NEED SOME HELP!
Do you still have the stock shroud and the plastic side panels installed?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Get a 180dg Thermostat, put in a colder range spark plugs, is your radiator a 3 core, really make no sense to invest in a 2 core radiator on a modified engine when that what a stock is

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get a 180dg Thermostat, put in a colder range spark plugs, is your radiator a 3 core, really make no sense to invest in a 2 core radiator on a modified engine when that what a stock is
think its only a 2 but i got it for free..

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Like mentioned, check your clutch fan.

Out of my current fleet, my 93 cobra with a 347, h/c/i is the coolest running with stock shroud, clutch fan and aluminum radiator with ac on in the summer heat.

·
Registered
35,901 Posts
The stock fan without the shroud is MUCH less effective....as you are discovering.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Yes you definitely need a fan shroud on there, it actually makes the fan pull more air across the entire radiator. Without a shroud at all, it probably barely pulls any air through the radiator as it is able to pull air from under or around the radiator. It's going to move the air that is easiest to move, so think about it...is it easier to move air through a radiator or from the open areas around the radiator? Put a shroud on it!

I like the SN95 or Taurus electric fan setup. Moves a lot of air. My car being a race car I just control the fan with a toggle switch, which will work for you, but as others have mentioned you can put a controller on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you think if i just got a contour fan or taurus fan that would be enough?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
The fan with a coil of flat metal on it is a thermal fan, and locks better when the radiator airstream is hot.

The fan without the coil is vicious drive, and turns about the same at any temperature. My 1989 has a viscous clutch. It spins cold or hot the same at slow speeds, and the fluid drive slips at high speeds. I had a F150 that had the thermal fan clutch with the pancake coil heat strip.

That isn't your problem though. It's probably just the lack of a shroud. The shroud is very important.

·
Banned
800 Posts
Put the shroud back in.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
That proform fan won't cool a stock 5.0. Don't waste your time with it. IMO if you want a great E fan setup, it is hard to beat the trusted Taurus fan from the mid 90's 3.0 and the flex a lite 33054 variable speed controller. I currently have this setup on my mildly built car- explorer top end- TB, headers, etc. and in south florida

With any E fan a 130 amp 3G alternator is a must. The Lincoln MKVII is also a great E fan.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts