Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88 gt that is running bad.i have done a full tune up on it and replaced the tps and it still runs the same.what i want to know is can i pull any codes out of the computer even if the check engine light is not on.if so can some one tell me how to do this.also i belive the car is running lean.thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
you don't have a check engine light unless its a cali car.....get a haynes and pull the codes

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can i tell if the car is a cali car. i have not had the car for very long

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
if it has mass air

most or all of the speed density cars have a non-functional check engine light

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this may sound dumb but this is the first mustang that i have owned.but how dow i tell the diffrents between mass air and speed density.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
look at your airbox. Just up the hose is there a mass air meter or is it one long hose to the throttle body? If its one long hose, its speed density.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
A mass air flow sensor like this one will be attatched to the intake tube

Speed density doesn't use the sensor

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it has mass air then. here the problem that i'm haveing with it.when i get on it it act sluggish till about 3500 rpm then it takes off.but if i unplug my tps it runs good and halls ass.when i first got the car i changed the pluges and they where whiteish gray. do this help any thanks for any help

·
Registered
154 Posts
It could be a mass-air conversion, which means it still won't have a check engine light, unless the installer put one in. You are on the right track by wanting to check computer codes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i belive the car came stock with mass air because when i unplug the tps the check engine light come on.

what i need to know is how to pull the codes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts