Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to shell out the bucks to get some BFG drag radials in the 275/50/15 variety. Need some cheap wheels to mount them to for drag racing. Love Weld wheels, but don't have the dough to support that. ARE makes a solid, cheap steel weel (767 I think) but the backspacing is wrong. Is backspacing really an issue? The closest ARE's only have 4.5 in backspacing as opposed to the reccommended 5.5 in.

Any other suggestions for a cheap wheel that has the appropriate backspacing?

What do you guys run?

·
Registered
224 Posts
15x4 in front and..

Centerline 'Terminator Series' Telstars 15x8 w/5" backspace in the back supporting 275/50-15s

They are $128.xx @ www.summitracing.com

And are free shipping I think.

Oh, and 5" backspacing on an 8" wheel gives you 5 inches from the center to the back, and 3 inches from center to the front.

** If I had it to do over again, I would go with a 5.5" backspacing, as I had to roll my fenders a little to stop the sidewalls of the tire from getting gouged into by the fender. **

Only problem is they don't have a 5.5 in the terminator series. Well, without anyone riding in the back its not a problem, but when I put people in the back and hit a slump in the road (like when you get off a bridge and it sinks in, in a spot - we have alot of those here) The tire scrapes.. but hell its all been holding up, and now since I got the
Weight Jacker LCAs, its not a problem.. cuz I just have it jacked up to clear better.

You would have less trouble with a drag radial, cuz they are a little different how they sit on the wheels. I have ordinary BFG Radial T/As lol!!

Go to my website and check out the rims how they look on the car:

http://members.cox.net/silverstanger

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
I have 275/50/15 BFG DR's on 15x8.5 Centerline Convo Pro's that have a 5" backspacing. No fender rolling necessary. The Centerlines are a one-piece wheel and do not require long studs. The aren't the cheapest thing in the world, but they are far lighter than most cheap steel wheels, and are likely a bit less than a similar sized Weld wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts