Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy the KB forged pistons in summit. I know they are probably heavy, but they have to be better than my hyperpathetics I have in there now and they are cheap.

Which rings should I get for turbo boost? (brand, type.....)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
First, I don't see any KB forged pistons in Summit, the standard KB stuff is huperutectic.... If your looking for decent quality at a lower price I would go with the J&E SRP line.

Second Cheap and quality are not used in the same description for a reason when doing engines. I wouldn't be looking in the bargain basement for parts when one is talking about a twin turbo kit and adding a little extra boost.

Most of the plasma moly stuff is alright for a "street" oriented application. BUT get into some real serious Boost, and your looking at a tool steel top ring. My set was $450.00 for a set of 8.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
For a basic street build a moly ring is fine under boost. You'll be splitting blocks before I'd concern myself with cooking the moly.

As for pistons KB has introduced a line of forged pistons. We can actually beat the pricing with a Probe piece and it's probably just as solid, the reason why we carry Probe's instead of KB's but you relaly won't find anyone with any experience on KB forgings.

Total Seal, Speed Pro, ect. they all make a decent ring IMO. Everyone had a preference but I haven't had problems with any of them.

$.02

Brian

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm sorry.....I just looked in the catalog and it is SPEED PRO forged.

Eagle, if you can get a forged piston in that range, I'll buy from you. Its gonna be a stock block, so I see no need to spend big bucks on high price stuff. I'll split the block with big power. I'll buy big buck stuff if I get an A-4 block or something.

I ran 12psi for 3 years on the stock hypers. I would think anything forged would be better, right?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Probe makes 2 series of forged pistons, a Speed Pro range priced unit that is a lot lighter (~70 grams?)

And an SRS series, Sportsman Race, that is even lighter and more of an aftermarket piston (vs. OEM type Speed Pro.)

Email me if you need pricing.

Keep in mind that tune is everything, if you run it lean it'll break the hyper's, if you run it lean it'll break the forgings. The forged pistons are just more forgiving for tune and not as catastrophic when they fail.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts