Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have specs or a link to the specs for the system in my '99? Its the single cd & tape player. I'm hoping to just pop in some new speakers for an upgrade, but don't know if the head unit has enough ummpphh to drive anything good. Can I get reasonable results without an amp? From what I've listened to so far I'm leaning towards Boston Acoustics, 6x8 in back and possibly a component system up front with the tweeters mounted up where the Mach tweeters would be. I'll either mount them in the filler plate I have, or buy the Mach enclosures and put them in there.

Any info/advice/suggestions/etc..?????

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you like Boston speakers I would skip the back ones and use the money for a amp and 6X8 front comps. IMO, the tweeters would sound better in the kick panels than in the A-Pillar.
I really like your sig.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not stuck on Boston, but from what I've listened to so far they've impressed me the most (in the ~$100/pair range anyway). I'm planning on around $200, hopefully I can get a decent upgrade with that. If I do need an amp anyone know if my deck has a preamp out? Anything else needed??

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I think BA is a good choice for the money, personally. Clarion has a good quality sound as well for roughly the same price, if you want to give them a listen. Memphis sounds cleaner but costs more.

99% sure your deck has no preamp. You can get a line converter though.

Honestly, I think you'd get better sound quality by replacing the HU with a $199 Pioneer HU or similar deck. 22x4 RMS on many of them so you'd be ready to upgrade you speakers later on. Also most of them have RCA outs, so you could add an amp as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
.Mustang Door panel removal .
If you want to stay looking stock you could get a amp with speaker level imputs. If you went with a MTX it has Smart Engage so it doesn't need a remote turn on wire, turning on your head unit will turn it on thru the speaker level imputs.
Two good front speakers with a amp will sound better than front and rear speakers powered from the head unit. Alot better. You like motors with power; listen to music with power

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts