Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems alot of people use the 150 lb springs. My front will be fairly light. Going to light k-member and a arms, only accessory will be the alternator, fiberglass hood and a few other weight savings up front. Should be about 100 lbs. lighter than last year when I used 4 cyl. springs with my Hal struts. Had no problem pulling the front wheels with good traction. I would like to hear from those who have the 150 lb springs or lighter. I am looking for something equivalent to the 4 cylinder springs or slightly lighter without making the front too soft. Thanks

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I originally had 175 lb spirng up front but with my soft leaving C4 set-up it wasn't transferring much weight at all. I swapped in the lighter 130 lb srpings and it really came a live. Front end was up, wheel off the ground and 60' times dropped a few hundreths to consistant 1.49-1.51 every time.

They were the ticket on my set-up without the violent forced weight transfer of a stick car. This year a transbrake is going in so I should be hitting it much harder. I hope things remain as well as they were last year.

That's also with some frontal wight of the big 351 stroker, I have a decent ride height and no coil bind even on the street under normal driving.

My theory was they are easy to swap and reasonably cheap, if it didn't work I could play with another rate. I lucked out and found it worked well, worlds better than the 175lb sprinsg on mine. Others may differ.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
TC,

I've been toying with the idea of changing to a lower rate spring (currently 175's). Where did you get the springs, Summit? What made you go for the 130's over the 150's? One more question, can you maintain the stock ride height with the 130's or is there not enough spring to do it?

My front end is probably as heavy or heavier than yours with the R block, blower, intercooler and plumbing. I'd like to keep the stock ride height so maybe these springs wouldn't work for me, unless they came in different static lengths.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
John, I bought QA1 springs locally but Summit should have them. QA1/HAL has a full listing of various lengths and rates. I used the 14" length springs. From info I had gathered both online and locally it seemed like a light spring was required to get the same stored energy as a stock style spring. Long and light seemed to be the order of the day. I was flip fliopping on the 150 vs 130 but after seeing some promising results I said what the hell and did the light ones. GMSUX also made the swap prior to it with very encouraging results with a stroked 351 set-up (similar weights). They were pretty cheap so if it didn't work I'd shelve them for the future.

Ride height seems to have a fair bit of adjustment. I can have it slammed or slightly higher yet. I'm just past midway in the adjustment range upwards. I'm sure at some point coil bind may arise going higher and collapsing the spring more but so far so good. They are light though, it's funky driving it on the street but honestly not that bad. I went from Eibach drag sprinsg before to the 175's and I knew it wasn't a loose up front right away. Track tests just proved it. The 130's are maybe slightly softer than the Eibachs, by feel anyways. The 150's may be the better choice if the frontal weight is greater though. Tough call.

Tim

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
OK Tim, thanks for the info. I guess they are cheap enough that I may try both.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds to me as if I should easily get by with the 130's to start with. If they are enough to hold a windsor, they should do well with my light front end. And as you say they are cheap so if I have to switch again, oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts