Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rack went out on my 93 LX. When I checked at ford and local parts store there seems to be three different racks listed for this model car. A ford rack, a TRW rack and a rack with a performance suspension. Do you guys know what the differences are between these and have any reccomendations? thanks

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I had always heard to replace with the one that you have in it. I had read where the TRW racks were put in the SVO's only.

You want to count the turns lock-to-lock with what you have now. There is a 2.25 rack, and a 2.5 rack. Get whichever. Also, go for the sports rack, or the one that mentions it is high effort.

I could find no reason to go TRW in either of mine. You may also want to check into Flaming River.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Don't take your old rack to exchange for the new one until you know the new one fits. You may have to remove your old rack bushing and switch them over to the new rack becuase for some reason the rebuilts seem to ship out with the incorrect bushings for a lot of our cars.

You want the "sport", or "handling", or "15:1" or "high-effort" rack in either 2.25 or 2.5 turns lock-to-lock. The only difference is about $40 and the presence of steering rack travel limiters which you can buy and install yourself for less than $5 and a couple of zip ties.

You DO NOT want the "standard" or "20:1" or "3.0 turns lock-to-lock" rack, although it will bolt up no problems it slows your steering down just enough to be a PITA.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My 91 was the 2.25 turn style, I would assume the 91-up Mustangs (since they switched to 16" rims) would be 2.25 turns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts