Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been gone for awhile. (Profile still says Miami, FL. That was 3 cities ago!) Got a new home with a 3 car garage. Car project has been green-lit by the family.

I want a mustang with a 5 speed. Budget for car and power adders is $14,000.

I like the boxy 1990-1993. I love the 1994-95 GTs. However, the New Edge 2001-2004 looks and PI engines are growing on me.

I have worked on a couple 302s, and wouldn't mind building up a 408.

What I am willing to do with this project:

- Mild body work.
-Build an engine.
  • Get it to a point it is "done", but still willing to tweak on it to make it better.
  • would like to to be a weekend fun car to drive. Go get ice cream, etc.
  • Would like to avoid blowing up a T-5.

It won't be my daily driver.

I have Summit Racing (Arlington) about 10 minutes from my office. Therefore, I can buy a K member, and not need to pay freight.

I was going to post in the modular forum, but wanted a more balanced response. If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
You'll need to bump up those numbers significantly if you're looking for a cosmetically appealing car. My advice would be to save a bit more and buy a Terminator. They are literally depreciation proof unless you put 250k on one and so much damn fun to own. You'll also not lose your ass when it's time to part ways. My friend has about 35k into his 2.6 KB 2000 GT. Makes 700 wheel, re selling he's looking to get around 9-10k if he's lucky, just because it's a plain jane GT.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I'd say Fox if you are looking for more of a project-type car, and 99-04 is you are looking to build up a great cruise and then just enjoy it. Power adder on the 4.6L would be fun, and it's an improved fox chassis car with better brakes, more rigid body (although could still use improvement), and more modern amenities. I agree about resale on a GT however. Great bang for the buck if you are looking to buy one, prepare to lose your shirt if looking to sell.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'd say fox mustang, but that is because I have all my experience with that body style. I do like the SN95 and new edge and considered getting a new edge but stuck with the fox since I know it so well (especially the pushrod engine since it doesn't have overhead cams) But its also all up to you and if you are looking to learn on a newer mustang too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some clarification:

I don't intend to spend all $14,000. If a used 04 GT costs $5k, I'll put $2k in to it and have fun and $7k in the bank. If I can find a Terminator for $14k, maybe I'll go that way with this project. (I am going to be smart with my money.)

If I can find a GT that someone else put all their $ in to, I'll buy it for what its worth, not for what the receipts add up to.

I can afford to be patient and wait for the right car. There are a few Mach 1s down here for 9-10k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts