Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the process to get them bad boys outa there? They look like they are in there pretty darn good. I want to get rid of em on my strip car, but don't want to screw up the outer door skin in the process...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Your safety is alot more important than gaining .005 in the 1/4. If some one smacks you in the door, you be glad they were there. Take it from someone who has been hit in the DS door VERY HARD. I was OK though.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that was coming...:eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
They are welded onto the inner door structure before the outer skin is crimped and welded into place. They also have about three globbs of sound deadening structural adhesive that bond it to the outer skin for reinforcment which will pucker the outer sheet metel if your not careful when you remove it. More importantly they really don't way all that much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
17# per door on my '90GT. If its a car without a cage/bar and street driven, I wouldn't remove them but if its a track car with a cage then you pick up protection with the downbar. I cut mine front & rear VERY carefully with a dremel. I had to cut a section between two of the openings in the inner skin to get the beam out of the door then. First one took an hour or so but the second went much quicker.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll work on them after I get a cage!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts