Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure either a belt slip problem or a bad alt. bearing. Well my buddy told me it is probably my tensioner. I have the march a/c and power steering delete bracket which makes the belt run with the ribs over the smooth pulley. He said that may be causing the problem. Can i just go to napa or something to get a ribbed pulley instead of the smooth one?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same problem deleting the P/S and A/C with the March kit. The problem was the belt slipping on the alternator, and I was using a ribbed pulley on the tensioner. With the position that the kit puts the tensioner in, all the force from the belt directly opposes the force of the tensioner which just isn't great enough. I could watch my tensioner jump as I bumped the throttle. I also ended up with a lot of belt dust on the alternator. I ended up trashing the march kit, making a custom idler pulley, and putting the tensioner back in the stock location. Worked fine after that, but I'm eventually going to switch to a standard rotation water pump.

BTW if you still want to try the ribbed pulley, I think mine was a Dayco 59004. If not, parts stores don't carry that many 6 rib pulleys and they will normally let you look through them. That's what I did at the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts