Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a completely stock 351w out of a 1992 F-250 with 154K on the clock. The guy I bought it from claims it ran well but as it has already been pulled I have no real proof of that. I am taking my time and building this engine the correct way with few to no cut corners. However, while I'm not looking for a budget build, I'm also not looking to spend absolute top dollar on everything either.

My goal with this engine is to keep it naturally aspirated and hit the 500+ whp mark. With that being said I plan on keeping only the block and replacing pretty much anything else that I have to in order to reach my goal. It's a fairly large under taking for me but I look forward to doing it myself and learning along the way.

Here is where I need help. Where do I start?

Any articles, threads, or personal advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
431 Posts
hello;

cool build. these may sound like strange questions but how did you decide on 500 whp?

also, do you want more bottom end or a high revver?

there are several ways to get there, here is just one that will get you close.

forged stroker 408 kit.

afr 205 heads.

custom cam from a well known source like chris straub at straub tech in the link below. the few extra dollars it will cost will pay off. if you do not want to get a custom cam then just one option is a 61013 lunati cam ground for use in your block. if you use this cam, i might get it ground in steel although the std iron version should be fine.

Custom Cams

a victor jr will get you there, with port matching if necessary.

3/8" chromoly push rods.

calculate the dynamic compression you want for the particular fuel you will be using.

deck the block so the pistons are around .002" - .005" below the deck. if you 0 deck it and need to surface it again later for some reason, this hopefully leaves you enough to do that.

sonic check cylinders, check lifter bore for wear and check line bore.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
408/418 at least. I would use High Port heads 225 or bigger. I would use a Super Vic intake and have it ported. Custom solid roller is what I would use. Keep compression as high as you can. If you are willing to run race fuel, a 13:1 compression would make it much easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello;

cool build. these may sound like strange questions but how did you decide on 500 whp?

also, do you want more bottom end or a high revver?

there are several ways to get there, here is just one that will get you close.

forged stroker 408 kit.

afr 205 heads.

custom cam from a well known source like chris straub at straub tech in the link below. the few extra dollars it will cost will pay off. if you do not want to get a custom cam then just one option is a 61013 lunati cam ground for use in your block. if you use this cam, i might get it ground in steel although the std iron version should be fine.

Custom Cams

a victor jr will get you there, with port matching if necessary.

3/8" chromoly push rods.

calculate the dynamic compression you want for the particular fuel you will be using.

deck the block so the pistons are around .002" - .005" below the deck. if you 0 deck it and need to surface it again later for some reason, this hopefully leaves you enough to do that.

sonic check cylinders, check lifter bore for wear and check line bore.

No such thing as a strange question, I know you're just trying to help.

I suppose I should mention that this will be going into a Fox body notchback. I picked that number because I'd like to shoot for mid to low 10s in the 1/4 while remaining as street legal as possible (a real bowtie killer. ;) ). I'm looking for more bottom end rather than a high-revver.

Thanks for advice so far. Greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
431 Posts
hi . . well that cam will probably geet you 6800 and come on around 3500b so its not really torquey but to get big numbers at lower rpms one way is to simply use more cubic inches as you probably know and 427 is max for a 351 as far as i know. . so in general to get those numbers from a carbed 408 you will need to spin it fairly high . . if you run race gas you can run more compression as goody suggested which will give you a bit more bottom end but with traction the 61013 cam will put you in the 10s. . also bigger is not always better . . 225 heads might cost you ssome bottom end . . if you run 225 then maybe even a bigger cam . if yiu run high port heads you might need custom headers which arent cheap maybe goody knows . . a vic sr is unnecessary on the set up i suggested and will cost you some bottom end on it . with a vic sr and massive flow high port heads and massive cam and 13.5 compression you might be in the 9s lol. nothing wrong with that . i suppose i am a bit more conservative than others . . but as i and goody mentioned a good custom cam will reap benefits on a build like this . . its easy to make 350 hp with good power everywhere with a shelf cam for the street in a 302 but when youre trying to milk 600 hp out of 408 cubes ...

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Get ahold of Jim at fordstrokers.com (hes here too) tell him what you want and he can put something together for ya.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Here was my old combo as reference-

418w 10.3:1 91 octane
RHS 215 heads
Custom tfi hydraulic roller
Super victor efi
Stock t5
Stock efi with moates chip.

Made 488whp on dynojet with under 50 miles (probably 500+ after I put some miles on it) Ran [email protected] NA

Can be done with pump and a hydraulic roller. My cam was extremely streetable. I would have preferred more cam

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
hi . . well that cam will probably geet you 6800 and come on around 3500b so its not really torquey but to get big numbers at lower rpms one way is to simply use more cubic inches as you probably know and 427 is max for a 351 as far as i know. . so in general to get those numbers from a carbed 408 you will need to spin it fairly high . . if you run race gas you can run more compression as goody suggested which will give you a bit more bottom end but with traction the 61013 cam will put you in the 10s. . also bigger is not always better . . 225 heads might cost you ssome bottom end . . if you run 225 then maybe even a bigger cam . if yiu run high port heads you might need custom headers which arent cheap maybe goody knows . . a vic sr is unnecessary on the set up i suggested and will cost you some bottom end on it . with a vic sr and massive flow high port heads and massive cam and 13.5 compression you might be in the 9s lol. nothing wrong with that . i suppose i am a bit more conservative than others . . but as i and goody mentioned a good custom cam will reap benefits on a build like this . . its easy to make 350 hp with good power everywhere with a shelf cam for the street in a 302 but when youre trying to milk 600 hp out of 408 cubes ...
The issue is he doesn't need 500whp for his ET goals, so I guess he needs to decide which he wants lol.

The moved intake location of a High Port makes the 225cc sound bigger than it is, it is probably about the same port size as the RHS 215 mentioned above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have an ET goal in mind, but I do still have a 500whp goal that I would love to reach if the necessary additions don't run me much more money in comparison. Given that nothing is done to this motor and I'm building it up from completely stock I'm not opposed to spending an extra couple thousand to reach that 500whp goal as it sounds like it will satisfy my ET goals with ease.

·
US Army Retired
5,328 Posts
I just finished this same build a couple of months ago, even though 500rwhp is your goal do you think you might want to take it further in the future? Or do you think you are going to tap out at when you cross the 500 rwhp line? I can tell you all the good stuff and then I can tell you all the bad stuff. I will post more when I get chance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a feeling 500whp will suffice...until I get bored or something breaks, at which point I know I'm going to probably want to step it up but I'm not really looking to ever go over 700whp with this car.

·
US Army Retired
5,328 Posts
First of all look into the minimums and maximums.
408-418
Start with forged zero or neutral balanced internals. Scat would be nice but RPM would more than suffice.
Oiling- get a blue printed oil pump, crank scraper, and a pan with a windage tray.
Electronic water pump, under drives or a loss accessories(equals less weight also).
Edelbrock Supervic intake. get a 4 barrel type tb and standalone to eliminate the maf set up
Custom HR type cam from FTI with recommended springs and lifters
Big exhaust
Be cool or fluidyne radiator
Beef up the transmission
Heads -I am partial to a TFS 225 set up(I made just a tick over 500 with a lightly ported set of TFS 170's)

Questions??????????

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.