Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a cross road with my build.

The motor is presently out and the block is bare, ready to be hot tanked.

Initial plans were to keep it simple stock bottom end, do some nice 190 TFS heads and a custom cam=done.

But now my mind has been going to doing a stroker.

How much more power does a 331 make over a 302 on average ? I know 350whp on a 302 with a proper cam and heads is possible.

Can a 331 crack 400whp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah sure it can with the right heads cam and intake.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m just wondering if the cost of a new rotating assembly is worth it.

I know 350 whp is happening on many set ups with stock bottom ends.

I just haven’t seen any n/a 331 results.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m just wondering if the cost of a new rotating assembly is worth it.

I know 350 whp is happening on many set ups with stock bottom ends.

I just haven’t seen any n/a 331 results.

I'm planning on just swapping the heads out on my 331 to 205 11r heads just to see if I can get over the 400 rwhp mark. That's with me reusing my RPM 2 intake, 70mm throttle body, and camshaft I currently have. Honestly I think it's possible with 190 11r heads.

If I get the chance to finally do it, I'll post my results.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kinda jam are you putting down now and what set up ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
What kinda jam are you putting down now and what set up ?

My last dyno was 326 rwhp 357 tq

That's with box stock Edelbrock Performer 170 cc heads, RPM 2 intake, 70 mm throttle body, xe274hr comp cam and MAC short tube headers. This is with 30 pound injectors.

I would be quite amazed if the 205 11r heads gave me a 100 horsepower increase. If they don't, I know a cam swap should do the trick after the heads and the right tune.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d be very curious to see what you do man! Different intake and 205s- your car would most certainly put down good power. I’m still impressed with all the stock bottom ended cars in the mid 300s

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
My 331 puts 350/350 to the wheels AFR 185 Outlaw heads, TF intake, AFM cam, 9.5:1 compression, 1 5/8 long tubes, 2 1/2 exhaust. It's pretty tame IMO parts wise. I am sure it could take a full CR point more on pump gas everythign else the same. I am close to swappign to a SM-II intake and bigger exhaust. Will need a re-tune after that I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I am at a cross road with my build.

The motor is presently out and the block is bare, ready to be hot tanked.

Initial plans were to keep it simple stock bottom end, do some nice 190 TFS heads and a custom cam=done.

But now my mind has been going to doing a stroker.

How much more power does a 331 make over a 302 on average ? I know 350whp on a 302 with a proper cam and heads is possible.

Can a 331 crack 400whp?

I was in your position not to long ago. I had considered a healthy HCI stock bottom end build. I have had two 347's.
I wanted to hit 400 rwhp and be done. I went the custom cam route with my 347's and was still unhappy. I'm limited on any build as it has to have great driveability and has to run on crappy 91 octane. That pretty much ruled out adding more static compression.
I started a thread on here and folks suggested a turbo build on a stock bottom end. I would have a basically stock car to drive in the city and when I want to have some fun; I just lean into it for a nice dose of boost that will reach my hp goal and more. I recently purchased a '94 GT with 53k original miles on it. The car is bone stock and unmolested. I'm installing a single turbo setup that cost me less than any of my stroker builds. I do not fear the factory block. If she blows; she blows. Many, many guys are doing exactly what I am doing with great success. It's nice to bolt on a hp adder without opening the factory long block.
It's just a thought to possibly help you in your decision. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was in your position not to long ago. I had considered a healthy HCI stock bottom end build. I have had two 347's.
I wanted to hit 400 rwhp and be done. I went the custom cam route with my 347's and was still unhappy. I'm limited on any build as it has to have great driveability and has to run on crappy 91 octane. That pretty much ruled out adding more static compression.
I started a thread on here and folks suggested a turbo build on a stock bottom end. I would have a basically stock car to drive in the city and when I want to have some fun; I just lean into it for a nice dose of boost that will reach my hp goal and more. I recently purchased a '94 GT with 53k original miles on it. The car is bone stock and unmolested. I'm installing a single turbo setup that cost me less than any of my stroker builds. I do not fear the factory block. If she blows; she blows. Many, many guys are doing exactly what I am doing with great success. It's nice to bolt on a hp adder without opening the factory long block.
It's just a thought to possibly help you in your decision. Good luck either way.
What brand turbo set up are you going with? Is it custom and I wonder if it would be safe on my 331 stroker.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
What brand turbo set up are you going with? Is it custom and I wonder if it would be safe on my 331 stroker.
I purchased a used, custom kit so I can retain the AC. If you Google "On 3 Mustang videos", you'll see some nice videos of these inexpensive kits making sweet power. Fitment seems to be an issue with the inexpensive kits but it's probably a small price to pay for the added power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts