Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright experts...

What bolt-on would you suggest next for my Stang? Mostly interested in more power / drag strip duty. Don't want to get into the motor and want to stay N/A. Here's what I was thinking...

- Drag Radials / light wheels
- Tri-ax shifter
- Tachometer
- Headers $$$!
- Rear seat delete
- Optima battery relocated in trunk
- MAF meter ???
- Throttle body ???
- Remove Mott bar
- Bullitt intake $$$!

Help! I would like to go 12s on street tires! What would you do? It doesn't have to be on this list. Any suggestions are welcome.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
what next

excellent times, where u running in cold weather 50 or lower.
If i where u i would get cams, with long tubes, heads gasket matching port job, and the bullit intake u shouldnt need to swap shifters Unless u miss gears alot.

Jason

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was around 60f degrees out when I ran that.

Cams and port matching I consider 'getting into the motor'.

I haven't ruled out long tube headers, but they sound like a true pain in the arse to install. Also, would they be overkill on a engine that runs out of power at 5,500rpms??? I question that.

I'd love to try the Bullitt intake with my setup, but it's a little costly. Anyone wanna help sponsor it???

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
268 Posts
u shouldnt need to swap shifters Unless u miss gears alot.
Missing a gear isn't what a shifter helps prevent mostly,it's the fact that when u shift hard the aftermarket shifters have positive stops to keep from bending the shift forks,and the stock shifter does not,so u over throw the shift and put alot of stress on the forks..
1st mod for anyone that beats on their car"with a manual tranny" is a good shifter,it will help keep the tranny alive longer"and help quicken up the shifts,due to the shorter more positive throw"

Steve

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
nomore4bangers said:
Cams and port matching I consider 'getting into the motor'...

I'd love to try the Bullitt intake with my setup, but it's a little costly. Anyone wanna help sponsor it???
BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You consider cams and port matching going deep, but an entire intake swap isn't. The amount of time involved with cam swaps, is close to half what it takes for the whole intake.

ha, and when you find a sponsor, send them my way, I got bills to pay also.

:rolleyes:
joe

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew someone would get a rise out of that sponsor thing hehehe :)

Jeff

·
Registered
663 Posts
12's with bolt-ons? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
215 Posts
playahata said:
Looking at his times, it seems pretty possible

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
playahata said:
With the right driver absolutely! My best before the intake was 12.89 with only bolt-ons.

Bill

·
Registered
238 Posts
this is like the 2nd or 3rd 02 GT with basically bolt-ons running 106+ traps.. :eek:

what the hell changed between 01 and 02?? :confused:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
playahata said:
You've got 305/319 on a headswapped car, and you are asking if 12s are possible? Please tell me you are asking that sarcastically.

Otherwise maybe you should sell the GT, and think about riding BMX bikes!

joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
JB VOBRA said:
this is like the 2nd or 3rd 02 GT with basically bolt-ons running 106+ traps.. :eek:

what the hell changed between 01 and 02?? :confused:

yah im wondering too!!!!! i race a 99 GT with a lot more done to it and the guy had his car a lot longer than i had mine (i had it for about a month) so he should have been a more experienced driver. i completely murdered him. i heard something about the compression ratio changing in 02? would that have made a difference? either way i am happy no matter what cuz its faster than already modded stangs in my area. now i got to take out my friends 95 5.0.:evil:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I mean, I know cecil is downhill and all....:evil: , but seriously, some of these 02s are trapping 3mph higher with similair bolt-ons to 99-01 models.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
JB VOBRA said:
I mean, I know cecil is downhill and all....:evil: , but seriously, some of these 02s are trapping 3mph higher with similair bolt-ons to 99-01 models.
Some of the MPH could be accounted for by the bad 60 foot time. I tried running my car on street tires once last month and was on the limiter in 4th at 108 MPH. Also the tail wind factor could come into play here as well. At Houston all three days at the FFW event there was a good tail wind and I picked up over 1 MPH in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile.

Bill

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Mustang92 said:
Some of the MPH could be accounted for by the bad 60 foot time. I tried running my car on street tires once last month and was on the limiter in 4th at 108 MPH. Also the tail wind factor could come into play here as well. At Houston all three days at the FFW event there was a good tail wind and I picked up over 1 MPH in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile.
Bill
1.9 60ft is not that bad traction for a non slick and 4.10 gear? I was trapping consistant 101.5-102 with 1.960fts before recent mods so he's a good 4-5 mph faster (awesome)? Ok if 01-02 are 10 hp more then 99-00 at the fly thats worth maybe a 10th in the 1/4. I have been seeing recently on here that 02 GT's are flyin like 13.3's on minimal bolt ons and stock tires? It makes me wonder whats going on... I think its great btw.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
vrtical said:

1.9 60ft is not that bad traction for a non slick and 4.10 gear? I was trapping consistant 101.5-102 with 1.960fts before recent mods so he's a good 4-5 mph faster (awesome)? Ok if 01-02 are 10 hp more then 99-00 at the fly thats worth maybe a 10th in the 1/4. I have been seeing recently on here that 02 GT's are flyin like 13.3's on minimal bolt ons and stock tires? It makes me wonder whats going on... I think its great btw.
Sure it's not a bad 60 foot for street tires but you have to look at the whole picture that is a poor 60 foot for his ET. Sure with a 1.9 the car did not dead hook without any spin. I had a 2.01 60 foot in my car on pep boys radials and 4.30's not a bad 60 foot for street tires but not good compared to my ET.

Bill

·
Registered
663 Posts
RavenGT said:

You've got 305/319 on a headswapped car, and you are asking if 12s are possible? Please tell me you are asking that sarcastically.

Otherwise maybe you should sell the GT, and think about riding BMX bikes!

joe
I was asking in regards to the original post, not my car. He's asking for 12's on a n/a 2V. I didn't even think the post '98 cars would hit 12.xx given that stock times are high in the 13's. I'm sure that with the right suspension and a quick track it's very doable, but not by a stock GT with only the basic bolt-ons (h-pipe, cai, pulleys, maf, etc..) Has anyone done this? Mustang92, was that time on a 2 valve 4.6? If so what tire/suspension combo?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts