Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thrown my belt 4 times now. I think maybe my power steering pump's shaft is loose or something since it jumps one rib in front on that pulley then shreds itself.

I caught it Satuday right away and put it back on proper before it shredded itself.

Then a few miles later, it popped forward again. Maybe the belt has some memory once it got messed up.

Well, I have to pull my blower off to replace the belt because of the Paxtion I/C.

Enough, I said, and I put the idler pulley from my old KB kit back on. It goes between the alternator and the power steerting pulley and has a nice big lip on it.

I haven't thrown the belt since... we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You clearly have an installation/alignment problem. I would guess that you will have some premature wear on the belt up against the lip on that pulley. Just a guess.

Ed

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edward Clark said:
You clearly have an installation/alignment problem.
I've considered that, but the problem is nothing around there can adjust to correct an alignment problem that I can see...

It comes off first on the power-steering pump.

The only things on either side of the power steering pump are the alternator and the crank pulley.

None of those three things are really adjustable...

The only thing I can see is that the power steering pulley can move in and out by 3/8 of an inch or so... I don't know if that play is in spec or not... I guess I could get a new power steering pump.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts